Battery Warranty

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ted99

So our battery is warranted for 70% capacity. My usual range on a full charge is 65-70 miles. 70% would be a range of 45 to 49 miles, if the correlation with battery capacity to range is linear. It can be measured by BMW techs, but is there any way for owners to do it? The battery coolant expansion valve failed in my car, causing battery overtemp. When I took the car into the dealer, it had bits and pieces hanging down from the rear of the battery. One wonders if that would have a longer term effect on the battery capacity and how we can "check" our own cars as a check on the BMW dealer?

Search on 'service menu' to get the procedure. You'll need your VIN as well to calculate the code to activate the hidden menus in the hidden service menu.

jadnashuanh said:
Search on 'service menu' to get the procedure. You'll need your VIN as well to calculate the code to activate the hidden menus in the hidden service menu.

THANKS. After looking it up, the search shows the following menu item: 13.08 Batt. Kapa Max 19.8 Kwh

70% of that is 13.86 Kwh.

So, will the Kapa Max change as the battery ages and the trip point for invoking the warranty is 13.86 Kwh?

The listed "max" capacity is 18.8, though most are measuring in the high 19's. So the 70% threshold will be 13.16

The 70% figure is the manufacturer's warranty threshold. Manufacturers would normally use 2% failure rate so therefore BMW are expecting no more than 2% of cars sold to have a battery capacity after eight years of less than 70%. The rest may have some deterioration and the mid point will probably be nearer 85% or so (any other views on this?).

Mine is less than 19x kWh and go up and down arrond 17.9 to 18.3.

What is your software version ? > newer than I001-14-11-502 ? Or lower ?

You van see this information by exporting your car profile with usb stick and edit the file with notepad or other free text editor like notepad++

Tom Moloughney wrote about the battery and warranty in his "1-year-review" blog post. Scroll down towards the end and you'll find it.

http://www.bmwblog.com/2015/06/29/bmw-i3-rex-one-year-review/

Back