BMW Debuts New, All-Electric BMW i3 Commercial...

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SSi3

BMW Debuts New, All-Electric BMW i3 Commercial to Air During NBC’s Broadcast of Super Bowl XLIX Featuring Katie Couric and Bryant Gumbel.
https://www.press.bmwgroup.com/usa/...=9&id=T0202242EN_US&left_menu_item=node__8601

Woodcliff Lake, NJ – January 26, 2015… Today, BMW officially premiered the new, 60-second spot for the all-electric BMW i3 that will air during the first quarter of NBC’s broadcast of Super Bowl XLIX on Sunday, February 1, 2015. After a 4-year hiatus, BMW will be returning to the big game with “Newfangled Idea,” featuring Katie Couric and Bryant Gumbel. The spot juxtaposes the famous 1994 Today Show clip of Katie Couric and Bryant Gumbel’s initial confusion surrounding “what is the internet?”, to Katie and Bryant in 2015 grasping the newfangled concept of the revolutionary BMW i3.

“In 1994, people had not yet grasped what the internet was, which is similar to how electric mobility is viewed today,” said Trudy Hardy, Vice President of Marketing, BMW of North America. “Electric mobility is at a tipping point. We are on the verge of something great and we hope that with this spot, we can educate audiences about the BMW i3 and e-mobility in a fun and engaging way.”

The BMW i3 spot marks the first time both Katie and Bryant have participated in national brand advertisement.

“When BMW offered me the chance to turn back the clock to 1994 and make fun of Bryant—and myself – I jumped at the opportunity,” said Katie Couric. “The tape doesn’t lie, we weren’t exactly visionaries back then, but thankfully in 2015 we are much more adept @ recognizing game-changing, environmentally friendly innovations like the BMW i3.”

“The BMW i3 Super Bowl spot is my very first commercial, and the opportunity to reunite with Katie was a no-brainer,” said Bryant Gumbel. “We are not actors, and we got to be ourselves, which made it fun and easy.”

BMW i is BMW’s forward-looking and sustainable brand dedicated to solving many of the mobility challenges faced by the world’s most densely populated cities. The BMW i3 is the first of the BMW i vehicles constructed from the ground up primarily of carbon fiber. Currently available in the U.S., the BMW i3 has a starting MSRP of $43,350 (Including $950 Destination and Handling), and the range-extender model has a starting MSRP of $47,200 (Including $950 Destination and Handling).

The spot is part of a larger campaign that includes digital and social activations. KBS (kirshenbaum bond senecal + partners) developed and executed the creative and UM is responsible for media buying on behalf of BMW.

“Newfangled Idea” is now available on BMW of North America's YouTube channel: http://youtu.be/U1jwWwJ-Mxc

Maybe this is intentional but the spot doesn't really educate the uninformed about the i3 other than that it's electric, it's a BMW and its partially made of carbon fiber in a wind powered facility. Overall I feel very indifferent about it, personally would have preferred something like the Nissan LEAF polar bear commercial.

Thanks for posting.

Leafdriver90 said:
Maybe this is intentional but the spot doesn't really educate the uninformed about the i3 other than that it's electric, it's a BMW and its partially made of carbon fiber in a wind powered facility.

I think you're slightly missing the point of this commercial, which is mainly putting a spin on the "what's the internet about anyway?" kind of thinking. I think it is basically telling people to get used to a new idea and not be stuck in the past like the two presenters once were (as they have moved on now!). I think it's a nice and fresh idea. Using "Electric Avenue" as the soundtrack also tells you something about the target age group of the ad - as does the usage of presenters from 19 years ago!

Thinking about it differently, in your post you summarised precisely what the ad is trying to make you remember (it's a BMW, made using Carbon-Fibre and the fact it's made in factories using sustainable power). What more do you want people to remember in the ad break of the Superbowl?

The twerk line is painful though...

psquare said:
I think you're slightly missing the point of this commercial, which is mainly putting a spin on the "what's the internet about anyway?" kind of thinking. I think it is basically telling people to get used to a new idea and not be stuck in the past like the two presenters once were (as they have moved on now!). I think it's a nice and fresh idea. Using "Electric Avenue" as the soundtrack also tells you something about the target age group of the ad - as does the usage of presenters from 19 years ago!
I get all that, but I still things it's only half way baked Ad. Unless it's followed by several other in full blown campaign - then it's fine as starting point.

picard-facepalm.jpg

:cry: Why can't BMW spend those few million$ to install more DCFC instead?

I can't believe Katie Couric and Bryant Gumbel are the people they chose to put in the SUPERBOWL AD!!

It makes me feel so sad. Is this the image i3 is going to project?

They should have just put Steve Urkle in the car and called it a day.

How embarrassing. Good luck living this one down.

Had I not already bought the car, I would seriously be questioning if it's right for me at the moment.

Here is a cool advert. They should just cut the i8 footage out and replace it with i3. Much better.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XgxsUiY_n0w

I'll join the "what a waste" group. When I try to sell the concept of electric cars to friends and coworkers, I don't focus on the saving the planet aspect or that the cars are made sustainably. I tell them about how fun it is to drive with all that torque and not having to switch gears. That's what I loved about this test drive commercial because it's so accurate to how I and other people felt when first driving an i3 (or comparable electric car). The wind-powered factory was a fun fact but really not that interesting from a marketing perspective.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E4p_N3-Yb3s

Finally watched superbowl ad...thats my car..maybe residual will go up!!! J-e-t-s jets, jets, jets! My team sucks but car is awesome

This isn't how you sell the ultimate driving machine. This is how you try to sell an EV made by Buick. I take that back, Buick wouldn't even do this. Unbelievable.

What's that saying? You can sell an old man a young mans car, but you can't do it the other way around?

The person in the drivers seat of a car ad needs to have their shit together. That's the person the viewer is supposed to want to be like.

Even the cute cyclist is looking at Gumble like he's a total idiot.

Have you ever seen a car ad ever, where the people are looking at the driver of the car like he's crazy?

I will be using the restroom after the first quarter.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f5gsu8gxVJ8

What is the big surprise? BMW is an old-fashioned car company selling mostly old-fashioned cars to mostly old people. They have an old-fashioned ad agency making boring and stupid commercials: what else are they supposed to make? Something hip and cool that appeals to a modern young buyer, how would they ever know how to do that? How would the boring old farts at BMWUSA know to greenlight an ad that they did not understand aimed at people that haven't a clue about?

Or maybe they have a very accurate picture of their actual buyers and the two dull TV personalities from some silly morning show for stay at home moms are exactly whom they want to have speak to their buyers.......

Don't worry old man, it works just the same as your snazzy mobility scooter. Nothing to worry about. Everything is going to be okay.

I have no idea who the two personalities are or why they were considered appropriate Brand spokespeople 'cos I'm from the wrong side of the pond ! They appear to play up the non tech/ ignorant angle so kind of contrary to what seems to be the profile of a lot of early adopters - at least on these forums.

Having a background in Marketing/TV I can comment with some certainty that the bulk of the budget for the Super bowl ad will have gone on TV Airtime and not the creative work and content. Given the huge TV audience that tunes in for the superbowl the targeting for the typical i3 prospective purchaser is pretty dire in my opinion. Looks like BMW NA have gone for an exercise in corporate vanity. I'm sure that the money could have been better spent on bolstering the Charger network.
Popcorn anyone?

The best TV commercials typically convey only one thought, a.k.a. single main idea, because the mass market audience is disinterested. Here we have a spot that communicates the i3 in 2015 equals the internet in 1994. Seems like a potent message to me.

All the better because the idea springs from a clip that went viral despite NBC's initial efforts to squash it.
http://www.businessinsider.com/nbc-fires-guy-who-posted-video-of-katie-couric-bryant-gumbel-2011-2

I see this as a savvy move by BMW. Note also the spot already has garnered 4.5 million views on YouTube.

Certainly it's better than another one of those Ode to Cute Animals monstrosities that will be out in force Sunday.

Most of the replies are missing the point of this commercial. This is NOT an ad for the CAR, it is an ad for BMW and electric mobility. The "funny" point is the viewer does not want to be clueless like the TV personalities and so they need to find out about this new EV thingy.

Sure, we on the forum and owners of the car want America to see how cool the (our?) car is, the features and speeding around a track with impossibly beautiful people and a wind machine and all that triteness, but the point of a Super Bowl commercial is to start a conversation and to raise awareness. And to be shared and watched online.

How many people have asked you completely ignorant questions (like what the @ symbol means)? Such as if the i3 can be driven in the rain or if you have to pay for electricity or other n00b questions? BMW is beginning to transform themselves and their industry not repeat the same thing over and over again for the next 50 years.

No one is missing the point of the commercial. We get it. Internets.

Instead of the message being that we know its strange but you'll get used to it, it could have been that the BMW ev is here and its awesome.

It looks like they're selling the all new, all electric, short bus for the confused.

Latest posts

Back