Building tip on the Juicebox EVSE kit

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ted99

After completing and hooking up my Juicebox EVSE kit, I had problems with trips after a few minutes of charging. Got involved with the manufacturer in resolving the issue (very responsive and helpful), which turned out to be a defective brand new 40amp circuit breaker, and not the EVSE at all. However, in the troubleshooting phase, technical service wanted me to ensure that the power output cables were perfectly parallel as they pass through the current sensor. Those of you having built the kit, or contemplating it by reading the on-line instructions will be familiar with the instructions that cover spurious GFE trips due to problems associated with the way a builder routes these wires thru the current sensor. The lesson I took from this is that I wish I had shrink-wrapped the two main current output wires together in a perfectly parallel alignment where they pass thru the current sensor during the building process. It's a real pain to take it apart later, and shrink wrapping the wires will really reduce the chances of eronious GFE trips.

ted99 said:
After completing and hooking up my Juicebox EVSE kit, I had problems with trips after a few minutes of charging. Got involved with the manufacturer in resolving the issue (very responsive and helpful), which turned out to be a defective brand new 40amp circuit breaker, and not the EVSE at all. However, in the troubleshooting phase, technical service wanted me to ensure that the power output cables were perfectly parallel as they pass through the current sensor. Those of you having built the kit, or contemplating it by reading the on-line instructions will be familiar with the instructions that cover spurious GFE trips due to problems associated with the way a builder routes these wires thru the current sensor. The lesson I took from this is that I wish I had shrink-wrapped the two main current output wires together in a perfectly parallel alignment where they pass thru the current sensor during the building process. It's a real pain to take it apart later, and shrink wrapping the wires will really reduce the chances of eronious GFE trips.
I'm planning to buy a Juicebox pre-assembled. Beyond the problems you describe, how do you like it overall?

It works great. I like it because of it's relatively small size. The only smaller units are the Clipper Creek. I had a Schneider, initially, but returned it because of it's large size. When I opened up the Schneider, most of the inside of the case was wasted space. Looks to me like the EVSE manufacturers are bulking up the cases to make you think you are getting a lot of components for your money. You are not, because a lot of components are not needed--just a low voltage power supply to power a relatively small circuit board and the power relay closing coil and a power relay capable of handling the charging current. I think that the current crop of EVSE's are grossly overpriced for what you get--allowance for future product liability claims when some customer does something stupid? . I also like that the Juicebox can handle up to 60 amps. The standard cable is rated up to 30 amps, which is perfect for the i3. You can upgrade the cable for one capable of up to 60 amps for extra cost, but the Juicebox remains the same. I view this as flexibility for the future. Another thing that makes the charging process easier is a cord hanging bracket that has a socket for the charging connection when stored. The Juicebox doesn't offer one (they should, I think). The Schneider was perfect, but I had to return it with the EVSE. Clipper Creek sells one loose and I bought it for use with my Juicebox. It's not as good as the Schneider because it doesn't have a large enough tab on the top to retain enough coils of the cord without them sliding off.

Would be useful if someone else on the forum that has found a good cord hanger to pass the info along.

Latest posts

Back