Buying a dealer demo

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gt1

Hello everyone,
I'm toying with idea of getting an i3, although it is not that practical with my situation and current gas prices. I talked to a dealer about a demo car and was told that since the car had been titled to the dealer, it was not eligible for the federal tax credit. But in the case of a lease, the $7500 credit would be applied. Does it sound right or the dealer doesn't know what he is talking about?

It's entirely possible. If the dealer claims the tax credit instead of the leasing company, they would likely be expected to repay it to the leasing company, but that's between them and the bank. There's no need to worry about qualifying with the IRS like you would need to if you were purchasing and claiming the tax credit yourself. If it appears on your lease paperwork, you're set.

Yes, he included the rebate on the lease worksheet.
IMG_0207.jpg

I'm leaning towards buying- I've never leased a car before. What I don't understand, why I could get the tax credit with lease, but not with a purchase. If the car is titled to a dealer, they should get it and pass it on to the buyer.

Back