Car washing, save water, how?

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sperillen

Hello
I have now had my new car for 14 days, and it's time for the first car wash. The switch from diesel to electric, so maybe it is time to change the method of washing from using 500 liters of water to a more sensible / economical way. I think about washing it as when cleaning the house, but are afraid to scratch the car. Does anyone have experience with a water-saving method .. Bad experience is also received, for I would rather spend much water than to scratch my new car. Should perhaps add that it is Laurus gray, ie a dark car.

We've been through successive droughts here and we reached the point where it became illegal to wash a car with a hose.

Our solution was to buy an economical pressure washer which draws water from a bucket. I wash the worst off the car then give it a wash using a lambswool mitt then rinse again with the pressure washer. I might use about 20L.

The restrictions have eased, but I still use the pressure washer. It does a better job and I know that I'm not scraping bits of sand etc around when hand washing the car because the pressure washer gets rid of them and most of the grime in the first pass.

I generally use one or more of the following options:

1) Touchless automatic car wash. This is my go to when the car is filthy.
2) Optimum No Rinse car wash. For smaller jobs or when the car is dirty but not filthy and more soiled than I can handle with a spray detailer.
3) Spray detailer like Meguiar's.

For any of this to be really effective I would suggest using a long lasting paint sealant like Optimum OptiCoat 2.0. I've had my car done over a year ago and it is holding up great. I like Zaino products for clarity but the OptiCoat last much longer.

If the car's not too dirty, I've had good luck with Griot's Car Wash Spray - no water, hose or bucket required:
http://www.griotsgarage.com/product/spray-on+car+wash+kit.do

Good demo video here:
http://www.griotsgarage.com/text/content/prodinfo/videos/html/socw.html

Back