CarPlay option not appearing

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

toddbeamish

Hi all,

Recently purchased a 2020 i3 and I thought CarPlay was standard equipment by this point. However, when I go in to manage mobile devices, I don’t see an option for CarPlay. My phone is an iPhone 14.

I only get telephone, music and apps (all ticked).

I checked to see if CarPlay was restricted on my phone but there are no restrictions set.

I also tried disconnecting, forgetting and reconnecting. I also tried connecting through CarPlay on the iPhone (holding down the voice control button on the wheel) but the car doesn’t appear.

When I go on to upgradable services on MyBMW the only missing services are Concierge and the Service inclusive and I don’t see a CarPlay option anywhere there.

Does anyone have any thoughts please?

In the U.S., Apply CarPlay is a standard option for the 2020 model year. You can confirm yours has it by entering the VIN at mdecoder.com (or a similar website), confirming it's installed. On my 2020, the factory code S6CP "Apple CarPlay Preparation" is listed. I really like it.

Then, consider reviewing Apple's support document for setting up CarPlay with your i3, which uses the wireless option:

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT205634

It sounds as if you've tried the obvious troubleshooting, but there might be a misconfigured setting on the phone you're overlooking. I'd also reboot it before attempting the pairing, but that's just me.

Super helpful, thank you.

I checked using the VIN and S6CP isn't listed so clearly wasn't standard on my 2020 in the UK which I do find strange but as a long-time BMW owner I should probably have expected by now :D

I suspect that Carplay may have been a cost option in the UK right up until end of production. The previous owner of my car (prod date Sept 2021) made a point about having paid for it as an option. Shame I can't "unplug" it from my car and give it to you - it's an option I'll never use!

Exactly same as me Todd......2020 i3, was sure it would have ACP but can't seem to find it on vin decoder website. Worryingly the website has my car down as a left hand drive😳😳

Is CarPlay prep simply the addition of an aerial
Under the back seat?
No, it's a box which needs wiring into the media system, I don't know if this is a DIY possibility, I know that I am incapable of doing anything more complex than changing a lightbulb, so I had mine professionally installed.

We have a DIY solution for cars in which Carplay cannot be activated. Anyone can install our MMI V6 module under the back seat in a few minutes, it doesn't require much science. It supports wireless and wired Carplay and Androidauto on the full screen in native resolution, and if someone needs Androidauto, it also works in the latest models, and you can also connect an HDMI TV stick to it, then you can watch Netflix, YouTube, etc.

So wait.. it does not require to pull new wires up to the front for the screen? It just goes under the back seat where the head unit is located? How about during BMW service when they hook it up to their ISTA system? I always have to unplug my current after market CarPlay solution under the seat or they can't complete diagnostic of the because for some reason they can't reach the infotainment system with it plugged in. If yours doesn't do that then I will be first in line to buy. How much? and where?

So wait.. it does not require to pull new wires up to the front for the screen? It just goes under the back seat where the head unit is located? How about during BMW service when they hook it up to their ISTA system? I always have to unplug my current after market CarPlay solution under the seat or they can't complete diagnostic of the because for some reason they can't reach the infotainment system with it plugged in. If yours doesn't do that then I will be first in line to buy. How much? and where?
I have never had to unplug mine and it has been to BMW on three occasions.

While Apple CarPlay was standard on 2020 UK cars, several such early 2020 registered cars I’ve looked at didn’t have it. I suspect they were built before this became the case but only registered then.

Has anyone bought the Premium Retrofit unit that only needs work under the rear seat and if so, can they provide feedback on how they find it please? Also, what’s the Bluetooth audio channel?

Last edited:
Back