Charging Port Cover Sticking

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

johnnylingo

Had this happen on the old 2016 e-Golf, now it's starting to happen on the 2018 i3. When opening the charging port cover, it usually sticks in the closed position and I have to use fingernails or a pen to pry it open. Closing and staying closed works no problem.

Consensus seems to be use a silicon spray or light lubricant but was curious if anyone has specifics tips or fluids that have worked well for them.

I have a video of the behavior in this reddit post

Hello johnnylingo –

The video you linked didn't play for me.

If you want to try opening the charge port cover, try pressing it and holding for a second or two.

Rattler said:
SSi3 said:
WD-40 fixes everything :D

My first thought too. The stuff is a miracle worker for things like this.
If the problem is rust, yes. However, I think WD-40 is basically kerosene or some very low viscosity hydrocarbons that penetrate rust but aren't good lubricants. Despite having WD-40, I chose silicone spray lubricant which remains in place as a dry, non-sticky lubricant.

alohart said:
WD-40 is basically kerosene or some very low viscosity hydrocarbons that penetrate rust but aren't good lubricants. Despite having WD-40, I chose silicone spray lubricant which remains in place as a dry, non-sticky lubricant.

Yeah; I was also worried WD-40 might eat through the plastic since it is oil based. For $5, going with a silicon spray seemed the wiser choice:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0019LV3GO?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details

Gave it a little squirt and used an old tooth brush to try and get good penetration. It has solved the issue...for now.

charging_door_cleaning.jpg

Back