Coding my 2014 i3 as a newbie.

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

msnyderfoto

Just got the car, and it has the HSOC already in the menu....hmmm. Maybe that was always the case. Anyhoo...
here's my first coding preferences.

Auto fold mirrors.
Brake Force flashing.
Lowering the seating heat.
Start in ECO Pro.
Unlock full fuel capacity.

Saw something about US side markers being illuminated. Not sure if that's an actual thing.
If you have any other "must have" features hit me up. Thanks in advance.

"Must have" is subjective.

I disabled the initial warning gong and all seat belt warnings, lights, and sounds upon startup.

I enabled automatic mirror unfolding at 5 km/h, the AM radio, the synchronization of the clock with the GPS clock, air conditioning memory so that it starts in the same mode as when the car was shut down, PDC when reversing.

I set the reversing camera to turn off when driving forward for 10 m. or at 10 km/h.

the synchronization of the clock with the GPS clock
Art - does that mean that the time automatically changes for Daylight Savings without you needing to do anything? One of the annoying "features" of my car is that it knows that the time zone has changed, but you have to manually intervene to make it show the resulting changed time on the display...

Art - does that mean that the time automatically changes for Daylight Savings without you needing to do anything? One of the annoying "features" of my car is that it knows that the time zone has changed, but you have to manually intervene to make it show the resulting changed time on the display...
I don't know because there's no daylight saving time where I live. I know that synching is occurring, probably with GPS rather than an Internet time server, because the clock is always accurate unlike before synching was enabled. I would assume that it would synch to the changed time when daylight saving time begins or ends, but maybe it would take a day to do so depending on how frequently synching occurs. I can force synching by unchecking and rechecking the synching option in iDrive. Maybe that's a feature only in iDrive in LCI i3's.

Thanks - I'll have a look and see if I can find the option. As far as I know, my car never updates the clock when the time changes - it doesn't matter how long you leave it.

Successfully coded to auto folding mirrors, Eco Pro default on startup, and maybe the flashing brake lights ( need to have a spotter for that ). Next will be auto unlock via inside driver door handle. What was interesting is I am rather convinced that the car was already coded for the HSOC and fuel tank, as both of those items did not allow selection options, and the HSOC was already in the settings menu of the car. Pretty smooth process all in all.

Last edited:
I don't know because there's no daylight saving time where I live. I know that synching is occurring, probably with GPS rather than an Internet time server, because the clock is always accurate unlike before synching was enabled. I would assume that it would synch to the changed time when daylight saving time begins or ends, but maybe it would take a day to do so depending on how frequently synching occurs. I can force synching by unchecking and rechecking the synching option in iDrive. Maybe that's a feature only in iDrive in LCI i3's.
The Germans have a strange interpretation of the checkmark, I've noticed.

Just be aware that, for some unknown reason, if you program for automatic mirror folding, switching off the interior alarm in the car with the key might not work any more.
- Press lock for 2nd time within 10 sec. Red light under rear mirror will illuminate for a longer time to confirm the interior alarm is not active-
Not sure if it can be switched off any other way t.b.o. Might be important if you want to leave your dog in the car (with windows somewhat open and in the shade) without the alarm going off.

Just be aware that, for some unknown reason, if you program for automatic mirror folding, switching off the interior alarm in the car with the key might not work any more.
I've never heard of switching off the interior alarm being a thing. I just tell the kids to remain very still. What is this function of which you speak?

I've never heard of switching off the interior alarm being a thing. I just tell the kids to remain very still. What is this function of which you speak?
In the Alarm section of your Owner's Manual:

"Switching off the tilt alarm sensor and interior motion sensor

Press the button on the remote control within 10 seconds as soon as the vehicle is locked. The indicator light lights up for approx. 2 seconds and then continues to flash. The tilt alarm sensor and interior motion sensor are switched off until the vehicle is locked again."

My car automatically changed time this morning.

I do want to make two changes to the locking/unlocking of the car

1) when unlocking the driver door, I want passenger door and hatch to unlock at same time
2) when locking the car, I want the default to be with motion sensor turned off

I have not made the time to determine how to do this but will get to it soon........although soon gets to be like tomorrow, which never comes

Back