Born Electric June 21 2014 i3 REX

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi ya techie..
The car blew a charge regulator module during an off peak charge... the part took 4 weeks to arrive from Germany. .. then one week to fit test polish and return to me..

Sjt2 said:
frannieM3i3 said:
Quick update on the EME module repair.

I have been getting updates from my BMW service guy every other day while they have had my car since July 16th.
On the call today, he told me they got the module in and they are in the process of pulling apart my car's engine to install it.
Then they will fully test the software and make sure the recent updates are loaded.

That translated to 2 days of work but they may need another day to confirm all the software.
So I just might have it by the weekend!!!

Oh and I gently reminded his to check that the battery is fully changed for me when I pick it up.
I will keep you posted.
FrannieM3i3

Were you given a loaner car all the while when your i3 is going through the repair/upgrade process? If so, what car?

Hi Sjt2,
I was given a choice of loaners cars, 335, x1, or 135. I picked the 135 for less gas consumption.
I have a beautiful blue 2009 M3 at home I could have used but they gave me the loaner so that I can put the miles on their car.
I do remember 2 months after I got my M3, the iDrive computer fried itself and it took 3 weeks to get a new one and fix everything. My AC also broke a few months later. The M3 has been around for a very long time so, to me, is shows that with any car, there can be problems. It makes a difference how you are treated by your dealer when issues arise and they are very good to me.

We are early adopters for the i3 and there are probably more issues in the first year or 2 of the new product than cars that have been around for years.
I do like the idea of asking them to make my i3 loan payment (all or part based upon how long they have it) like Noakey did - that was pretty good negotiating!

I got a call on Thursday afternoon that they need another day to finish software updates so my car should be ready by Monday, so I can pick it up early Tuesday morning before I got to work.

Hey Noakey,
Congratulations on finally getting your car back!!!!
How does it drive? Did they fix the problem? Any new warning messages appearing?
Enjoy!!!

FrannieM3i3

I totally agree with you that i3 is a brand new car that is just growing in volume sales/testing.

I asked about the loaner car situation as some of the dealers will just give you a loaner car from Enterprise or any rental company.

Glad you got a bimmer for bimmer. I would 135 any day.

Sjt2 said:
I totally agree with you that i3 is a brand new car that is just growing in volume sales/testing.

I asked about the loaner car situation as some of the dealers will just give you a loaner car from Enterprise or any rental company.

Glad you got a bimmer for bimmer. I would 135 any day.

For my San Diego dealer, I have been with them since 1998, I noticed that if I call ahead my service guy reserves one for me or if I get in there before 9am, then they have a BMW for me. Also, if I can get there about 5pm when some folks have picked up their cars and left a BMW loaner - then I'm good for a BMW.
I think twice, they ran out of BMW loaners and had to use their Enterprise loaners - I got a black Charger once and a Ford mustang once.

I hope they soon get some i3s as loaners for those of us with home chargers, that would be fun!

FrannieM3i3

Back