diff/ e-gear replacement

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vodkag

I have a 2017 REX with 80k miles

looks like I have leak with my diff/e-gear.

the dealer obviously want a lotta money for replacement and I am wondering if any independent shop can do the work in SoCal and cost.

I am also thinking about DIY (but not sure how involved it is) I am pretty capable around a vehicle. Looks like the axle would have to come off.....

The part is about $600........I know the labor is the killer part

any suggestion would help

I have a BEV so I can see the diff. Don't think its that hard to pull apart and apply some sealant and changed out seals, $600 for parts?

Due to tight space in REX(not sure), the labor involved might involve removal of either the engine or the motor to make room.

Yes, there is only 500ml of gear oil in there, so if leaking, best to take care of it so you don't cause anymore dmg from running dry.

Yeah looks like the axle removal is not that hard...so if its the seal from the axle that should be pretty straight forward.....

but if the entire unit needs to replaced....then yes the e-motor needs to be lowered

I saw the process on the BMW shop manual and is pretty complex and is def not something I can do at home.

Do you have access to a 2-post lift? It’s probably not a driveway job, irritating as that may be. Could you even hire a hydraulic scissor lift?

So here is an update......

obviously the stealership is trying to make some money (....of course)

There is a small leak from the axle seal.......after looking at the shop manual it was a pretty straight forward job.....stealership obviously claims that there might already be "damages" done to the e-gear box fluid leaking....(not buying it of course)

took the car home.....and FYI if you have a 2015+ REX that doesn't have a drain plug on the e-gear/diff box, you CANNOT get to the rubber air gap as some have indicated on the BEV...basically the REX engine is in the way......you can't even see it

So the only way to refill is to remove the axle and fill from there......It also looks like there is a seal that's probably causing my leak....

So with help from a neighbor, i remove the wheel carrier and hub, popped the axle off, replaced the seal (my neighbor had to fabricate a tool to pull the axle out straight and another to push the new seal in straight (he does fabrication work on cars so is easy for him) took a total of 1.5hr

drain the oil out....is black and tons of shavings from the mag plug.....but the amt of fluid that was drained out is less than 10% of the total fill (which is 500ml).......I doubt that will be a problem...esp consider that is not a complete empty drain.......

refilled with BMW OEM gear oil....car is no good as new ...no leak so far after 100 miles of driving (also alignment was redone just in case)

save myself $2500 (that's how much they want to drain and refill the e-gear/diff and $6100 to replace it....which is crazy

vodkag said:
drain the oil out....is black and tons of shavings from the mag plug.....but the amt of fluid that was drained out is less than 10% of the total fill (which is 500ml).......I doubt that will be a problem...esp consider that is not a complete empty drain.......
Please clarify. Had 90% of the transaxle oil leaked out so that only 10% remained which you were able to drain out, and you were able to add 500 ml of new transaxle oil? Or had very little leaked out and you were able to drain only 10% (50 ml) so that you were able to add only 50 ml of new transaxle oil? Were you able to suck out some of the transaxle oil that didn't drain out on its own?

How much new transaxle oil were you able to add? Is there some sort of fill line so that one can't overfill the transaxle?

Seems like every report of an i3's transaxle oil being drained includes comments about a surprising amount of metal filings having been collected on the magnetic drain plug. These reports suggest that BMW's lack of a transaxle oil replacement schedule for the i3 is an unfortunate omission.

What is BMW's recommended differential oil replacement schedule for its ICE vehicles?

The amount of fluid I drained out from the diff was about 460ml which is about 10% less than the 500ml that should be in there...I just drain as much as I can (took about 5 min) and I am sure it is not "completely" dry which means the net loss of fluid is probably less than 10%

I then replaced it with the recommend amount of 500ml (1 bottle) of BMW hypoid axle oil G1 75w-85

For other ICE BMW vehicle I've had, I usually replace the diff at 80-100k (unless otherwise specified by BMW) depends on driving style and conditions

Back