Don't update that iOS i3 app just yet

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
FWIW, on my Android tablet and phone, the upgrade just worked...didn't have to reinstall anything. JUst installed a new version of the operating system...didn't have to reinstall any apps, everything seems to be working fine. iOS seems overrated to me.

To be fair it's very rare for apps to go screwy on iOS and require a delete/reinstall - generally down to poor app programming and testing! Generally apps happily update (and automatically if you wish) and go on working seamlessly. Apps go bad on android too from time to time.

Thanks for the heads up though, the delete and reinstall worked for me too.

Had to delete and reinstall also and it works. Old app was working on iOS 8.2 before the upgrade. Better than this one app I had (Trion's Rift) that did not work on iOS 8 at all until they finally upgraded the app.

Sparky said:
Just updated my iPad app.....crashes and doesn't open.

BMW woke up and fixed the update last night (4/2). No longer a need to delete it to get it to work, but you if you don't have your phone set up to automatically download updates, you will need to go to the app store and update it. And you will likely need to enter your user id (your email address) and your password in order to get it opened.

I just did a search in the App Store for "BMW I Remote" and nothing came up. I too had the problem with the update. It would just open and immediately crash, so I deleted it and now I cannot find another copy to reload. Can anyone else find it in the Apple App Store?

WoodlandHills said:
I just did a search in the App Store for "BMW I Remote" and nothing came up. I too had the problem with the update. It would just open and immediately crash, so I deleted it and now I cannot find another copy to reload. Can anyone else find it in the Apple App Store?

The normal method is to delete and reload it from your computer. Do you sync your phone with your computer?

I33t said:
The normal method is to delete and reload it from your computer. Do you sync your phone with your computer?
That was certainly the way it was done in the past, but with over-the-air updating available for several years, I haven't synched to my computer in many months. I now use the App Store as my app backup. If I delete an app and want it back, I can merely download it from the App Store again.

I can find iRemote on the App Store on my iPhone, but that might be because it's already installed. When I search for it using the iPad App Store, it's not found. But iRemote is described as an iPhone-only app, so maybe it wouldn't be shown on the iPad App Store. However, I can go to the "Purchased" section of the iPad App Store, select "iPhone Apps", and iRemote is found because I have previously "purchased" it (at no cost). I can then download version 1.5.1, the current version, from the iPad App Store, so it must be on Apple's App Store. But maybe there's a problem with the search function or categorization of iRemote. I was able to access iRemote on my iPhone's App Store using this link from the BMW USA Website: https://itunes.apple.com/US/app/id849188616?mt=8 which might be worth a try.

http://www.bmwusa.com/Standard/Content/Vehicles/2015/i3/BMWi3/BMWiConnectedDrive/BMWiRemoteApp.aspx BMWUSA always has the link to both the iOS and the Android versions.

For some reason searching for i remote on iPhone app store in uk does not show the app. However, searching BMW does show it!

Coming from an IT background, all I can offer is: "Two backups are better than one" :)

I plug my phone into the computer last thing before bed. Backup is automatic and the phone is charged, backed up and ready to go by morning. How hard is that...

I33t said:
Coming from an IT background, all I can offer is: "Two backups are better than one" :)
Coming from an Apple software engineer background, I agree that more backups are better, but iTunes offers the choice of either backing up to iCloud or to one's computer, not both. To create two backups, I would have to continue backing up automatically to iCloud as I do now and then manually backup to my computer periodically. Last time I checked, incremental backups were not performed to one's computer, so each backup is a full backup which can easily exceed 1 GB in size. With my "tiny" 128 GB SSD, I just don't have the free space for frequent iPhone backups to my computer.

I33t said:
I plug my phone into the computer last thing before bed. Backup is automatic and the phone is charged, backed up and ready to go by morning. How hard is that...
Not hard at all. Even if I had sufficient SSD free space, I would need to plug in my laptop overnight while my iPhone and iPad are being backed up to my laptop. I don't want to repeatedly fully charge my laptop, iPhone, and iPad. In hopes of maximizing the lives of my 6 year old laptop battery and those in my iPhone and iPad, I try to keep their charge levels between 20% and 80% just as I do with my i3.

Good points, Art.

There are the restrictions of only running battery devices. They have benefits too, but not in the case of wanting to re-install an app that is temporarily removed from the app store...

My iphone backup folder runs ~5Gb, and the mobile apps folder almost as much.

Back