Drivetrain error update, how to move forward?

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

YKK

Hello,

I took my car to the dealer and finally got the start of a resolution today. After about two weeks and authorizing additional diagnostic time at $300/hr I am now down $750 for them to tell me there is a problem with either fuses or SME locks. I do not have a formal quote because they have not finalized the part numbers of what would need to be replaced but the labor for the job will be a minimum of 13hrs ($3900) because they need to fully remove the high voltage battery and do reprogramming. I'm expecting the official quote to be over $6k which I think realistically totals the car. I cannot justify putting that kind of money into something with a <60mi range that is probably only worth about $11k if everything was good.

I understand that things break in cars but something this catastrophic just randomly happening at under 90k miles seems unreasonable. What should my next move be? I don't have a place to park the car and even if I did I have no interest in keeping a dead car. Once I get the quote my rep says I'd probably have about a week to either move forward with it or get it off their lot. What are your thoughts?

Thanks,
YKK

If they cannot tell you exactly what is wrong, that means it could be something very simple.

Many high voltage error messages are due to 12v system problems.

Watch this video for example:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TGppDXBeXKU

Back