Dutch Corner: charging cards/subscriptions

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stevei3

Hi fellow Dutchmen :mrgreen:

since the first i3's are being delivered: what are, in general, the 'best' solutions to charge the car away from home for us flatlanders? I have not yet really looked into it myself, but I can imagine getting BMW's own ChargeNow card. It depends, of course, on cost, flexibility and the ability to use it abroad (yes, our i3/REx will have to go abroad ;) ).
What are my fellow countrymen doing ? And why ? Any input is much appreciated.

Regards, Steven

Hi
Don't know about the Netherlands but in Belgium, BMW has chosen bluecorner.com and ze-mo.be as their ChargeNow network partners. I know that both are somehow connected to your anwb.nl and that they are featured on oplaadpalen.nl along with other German networks.

That represents a pretty large charging network for the BENELUX, doesn't it?

Shame that Brussels downtown is not covered at all :?
Anyone from BMW Belgium reading these threads? :)

I have posed this question to the i ServiceDesk in Rijswijk and they told me that the BMW ChargeNow cards will be issued by them within the first half of 2014 (sounds rather familiar in regard to many i3 issues!). But, they are going to be issuing Charge Passes based on the ANWB cards and in fact will be administered by the ANWB. Their recommendation: get a ANWB pass. This past week U received mine and costs around €7 per month subscription fee plus the electricity used. It will be billed monthly, automatically.

I charge @home mostly, but have the Essent card for incidental charging. It doesn't have a monthly fee.
Works out fine for me.

jfk said:
I charge @home mostly, but have the Essent card for incidental charging. It doesn't have a monthly fee.
Works out fine for me.

I'm with Eneco, but the will charge me, it appears. Did you do a special deal, or ordered a home charging unit (or something) ?

Regards, Steven

I did not get any offer from BMW so far for any charging card. So I ordered myself a Essent-Card, just to be sure. Perhaps there is a little surprise that BMW provides their card when the car finally is delivered (next week...). Any experience from other Dutch i3 drivers on the BMW card?

vb996 said:
I did not get any offer from BMW so far for any charging card. So I ordered myself a Essent-Card, just to be sure. Perhaps there is a little surprise that BMW provides their card when the car finally is delivered (next week...). Any experience from other Dutch i3 drivers on the BMW card?

See my blog above! BMW will not issue their own cards till mid '14 but recommend getting the ANWB card while waiting. The ANWB are who BMW-NL have contracted for their ChargeNow services in Holland.

Essent failed to deliver their card so far. Luckly Nuon was able to provide a card within two days, so I can charge my car anyplace now and really start enjoying it (which I do!!!)

The ANWB card works on a broad network of charging stations in the Netherlands, but they are still negotiating with for example the ADAC in Germany to make it compatible with German charging stations aswell.

Do you know if you will be able to use all stations in the Netherlands with a Charge Now card?
Also, are their any services out there at the moment for Dutch drivers who do want to cross borders? I can imagine this becoming a more frequent occurrence.

Adam

Back