Electrical Storm Passes: Doors Unlocked, Windows Half-Down..

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

user 1096

Wool seats soaked. Has anyone encountered this? It was locked, plugged in beside my house. I was inside working at computer the whole time so there were no direct strikes. Key fob was out of range for triggering.

After discovery, ignition came on OK to raise windows and lock up, but the seat is too wet to sit on for more testing.

BUMWA said:
Wool seats soaked. Has anyone encountered this? It was locked, plugged in beside my house. I was inside working at computer the whole time so there were no direct strikes. Key fob was out of range for triggering.

After discovery, ignition came on OK to raise windows and lock up, but the seat is too wet to sit on for more testing.

Strange. I know its not the same but did you see this thread?

http://www.mybmwi3.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=2021

Seems like similar event, but not because of lightning.

I've had mine do the same but each time I've been able to identify that I had sat on the key fob at some point.

What's surprising is the range the fob has. I can't get wireless in the garage from the house, but the fob seems to be able to work from the house to the garage.

When I had my Volt, I would plug it in at work (we have 2 free level 2 chargers there) and on three different occasions when I came out to unplug my car all 4 windows were down and the doors were unlocked. My office is easily 100 feet away from the charging stations. I went to the Chevy dealer and they had to disable the window down/unlock function from the key fob - It took them 20 minutes to do it too. After that it never happened again.

This is definitely a bug in the system! It's happened to me several times. :x Twice it resulted in the car being flooded in the downpours. I'm sure (but not certain, of course!) that I hadn't long pressed the unlock button. One thing that reassured me in having that doubt that was the fact that every time it happened, the windows were only half-way down, not all the way, and the car was still locked. The latter might have been because the car door wasn't opened within a short time.
Others have had the same problem, and one poster is certain the fob was indoors on a hook overnight when his went down.
BMW couldn't disable the window-down command from the fob either, despite it being possible on ICE BMW's. :eek:

I've only had mine a month and this happened to me recently. Came out to find the drivers window half way down (only that window?) and the door card and seat soaked as it was pouring down.

The key was hanging up so couldn't have been inadvertently pressed.

Back