Electron-guzzling driving

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PeterHarvey

Just a thought. Yes the i3 is a nice car to drive.But most electricity generating still spews out co2, so fast acceleration and driving over 70 mph is still harmful to our shared home, this planet. What is the big rush? Enjoy being in the i3 for a little longer before reaching your destination ...

I33t said:
Or just install a decent Solar PV system so you can enjoy guilt-free acceleration.

LOL...yes, our property generates over 70% of our needed daily electricity. But even if we didn't, I have absolutely no guilt driving my i3 a little hard, or for that matter my Z4. Driving (fast, slow, whatever) is one of my biggest enjoyments in life. If the tree-huggers want a mission, let them worry about China, Pakistan, India, etc.

I do jackrabbit starts whenever possible and enjoy driving at or above the flow of traffic (75-80 around here). I get about 60-65 miles per full charge. I assure you that the marginal pleasure (along with POSITIVE externalities-- see below) I get from zipping around in the car dramatically exceeds the negative externalities of my reduced fuel economy.

In fact, I drive less efficiently (relative to max efficiency of each car) in the i3 than I do in two other cars I have that than are >500HP. Here's why: at a stop light when I floor a fancy high-power ICE car, it makes a lot of noise and people's heads turn and I am "that guy." I feel their scorn. So, not wanting to be an a**hole, I rarely do it.

In the i3, however, I silently launch into the sunset (faster 0-30 than almost any other car) and if people notice at all they think "wow, those electric cars are pretty zippy-- maybe I will consider one."

So, in conclusion: if you want to save the planet, drive the i3 at WOT as much as possible and, when asked about the car, ALWAYS lead with performance and acceleration and NOT with efficiency or ECO-friendliness.

P.S.: My PV panels made 1,900 kWh last month, so I'm good on that front.

Depending on where you live, there may be lots of electricity producers that generate no CO2 at all. Nuclear, wind, solar, geothermal, hydro, wave, etc. Most individuals option is mostly limited to solar, but some may have wind power or even hydro on a small scale. And, consider that most power plants are more efficient than running a POV ICE.

Chrisn said:
In the i3, however, I silently launch into the sunset (faster 0-30 than almost any other car) and if people notice at all they think "wow, those electric cars are pretty zippy-- maybe I will consider one."\
+1!! I actually had someone pull up along side of me at the light after the one I did this at once... he was impressed and wanted to know more about the i3.

SDCAi3 said:
Chrisn said:
In the i3, however, I silently launch into the sunset (faster 0-30 than almost any other car) and if people notice at all they think "wow, those electric cars are pretty zippy-- maybe I will consider one."\
+1!! I actually had someone pull up along side of me at the light after the one I did this at once... he was impressed and wanted to know more about the i3.

I am still unbeaten off the lights after 7 months of ownership. Still get asked about the car all the time, particularly when queuing in stationary traffic.

I've got two houses - one I own and one I rent where I work. The one at home is powered by renewables (Good Energy) the one at work is Nuclear (EDF). 0-60 in 0 carbons. I move house to often to consider paying for a PV system so am happy to pay someone else to generate for me instead. 1 more move and I hope to be in the house for ever and will stick as many kW as I can afford on it. Will be a self build so will save a bit of money on roof tiles ;)

I'm pleased that all of our kWh used are zero carbon / hydroelectric generated at 3.59 cents per kilowatt-hour. This makes driving a low cost joy.

Back