Failed Control Module Damaged HV Battery

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

user 6436

HELP!!! A few weeks ago I posted about my '14 REX not shifting into drive. BMW determined it was a control module that went out and my First Guard extended warranty that Credit Union of Texas insisted i purchase (because "electric cars are expensive to fix" they said) sent an inspector to see the issue. The $1700 repair was approved and then BMW discovered a consequential problem with HV battery. One of the cells was damaged and this additional repair was going to cost $5700. First Guard sent the same inspector who denied the repair saying batteries are not covered under the warranty. I explained that this is not the same thing as a 12v battery and should be considered the drivetrain. They are not budging. BMW cannot pursue the extended warranty on the HV battery because the issue was caused by the failed control module. I have a 5 year old car worth $14k that needs $7400 in repairs. CUTX who holds the note and sold me the warranty is trying to help but it is First Guards decision. I think I might need to lawyer up. Any advice would be much appreciated. This is from my service advisor-

"Hi Corey, I just called again to check on the status because it was being under review. John said that they had sent it to the extended warranty carrier (he also mentioned you had bought this policy through your credit union)and were waiting on decision. Unfortunately, it came back as not listed for coverage. He explained to me that they said that because the vehicle is a hybrid or electric it should have never been covered under policy contract but the initial claim that was submitted was left authorized and not omitted.
Here is an estimate for the additional required repairs."
Labor: $1,489.00
Parts needed:
61-27-7-625-066 CELL MODULE, HIGH- 1 0 0 DP 2998.69
61-27-8-648-904 SAFETY BOX:612511 1 0 0 DP 782.22
07-12-9-907-467 HEX NUT:071000 4 12 12 DP 16.24
07-11-9-908-088 HEX BOLT:071000 12 0 0 DP 53.04
61-27-8-626-650 SEAL SCREW:889520 4 4 4 DP 42.48
Tax 321.15
Total $5,702.82

If your car hasn't been driven more than 100k miles (150k miles in CARB states, I believe), the battery pack warranty is still valid. Just because a module not under warranty damaged part of the battery pack doesn't mean that the battery pack warranty shouldn't cover this damage. Push back hard with your dealer. If that fails, contact BMW corporate.

I'm with Art. The Battery pack is warrantied for eight years against defects. Point out that for only one of the eight battery cells to fail under your conditions, is a pretty good indication of a manufacturers defect. And if no luck with the Dealer, call BMW NA. The Dealer will be talking with a regional BMW Service Manager, BMW NA is further up the chain. And if they still won't cover all the repair, ask for a 'good will' portion paid, and see what they say.

And with the 3rd party insurance policy through your credit union - since it isn't actually covering the car and they pushed you into buying what amounts to a bogus insurance policy just for the commission on it, demand that your premiums be refunded in full - to go towards repairs.

How do they know it's the faulty module that damaged the battery cell and not the other way around? One could argue that if a faulty cell damaged the module BMW should cover both under the battery warranty.

Hi there - I am somewhat naive about car matters. For the past week my 2014 has been effectively throwing tantrums - drivetrain warning, parking brake malfunction, etc. etc. A month ago my full warranty expired however I still have the BMW limited warranty in effect on the battery. My husband plugged in a device that will obtain error codes and this is what he got:

Confirmed codes:
P1C53 Check report for description.
P0606 Control Module Processor
P16EA Check report for description.
P0562 System Voltage Low

Pending codes:
P0606 Control Module Processor

A month ago I took my car in for an annual service. At that time it had no issues; just needed a cabin air filter change and brake fluid. The sudden emergence of issues makes me wonder if somehow the dealer did something they shouldn't have. In any case I need advice about what to do. I'm guessing this is going to be an expensive fix and I don't want to cover it if it can be avoided. Thanks in advance.

...but it's a relatively inexpensive fix*, $125 retail for the battery and maybe double that from BMW, though their labor rate will bump that up even more.

* not relative to other batteries, but compared to other BMW repair bills

Thanks for your replies. I am being told by a dealer that I need a new EME. Could this be accurate? They are saying that it is covered under the BMW warranty. They are also saying that the car does NOT need a 12 volt battery.
Wondering if I should just leave them to fix it or if I should take it to an independent shop? I already have an appointment with an independent shop that comes highly recommended. Thanks for any help you can offer.

Take the advice of the BMW subject expert over me here in the peanut gallery! Especially if it's warranty work.

jessherbie said:
Thanks for your replies. I am being told by a dealer that I need a new EME. Could this be accurate? They are saying that it is covered under the BMW warranty. They are also saying that the car does NOT need a 12 volt battery.
Wondering if I should just leave them to fix it or if I should take it to an independent shop? I already have an appointment with an independent shop that comes highly recommended. Thanks for any help you can offer.

What was the outcome? Did they replace the $6,000 EME, and then say it also needed the 12 volt battery?

Back