Fast Chargers (30mins 80% type)

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Parker

I have no idea of the cost difference between a standard (overnight) charger and a super fast one is (the 30mins 80% Charge type) - that may be a big issue - but I was wondering what the infrastructure requirements needed to install one are. Does anyone know?

The reason I ask is I think that the fast charging infrastructure is key to EV adoption .... and as
1) the nearest super fast chargers are both about 50 miles from me north & south .... making the distance between them 100 miles
2) I live 2 miles from a junction on one of the UK's busiest Motorways (150,000 cars per day)
3) the UK government will help pay for 75% of the cost of an EV Charger

....... I thought why not install a Fast Charger (instead of a standard one) and let other people use it.

Anyone know the cost differential?
or what the infrastructure requirements needed to install one are?

Many thanks. P.

Parker,

You can find a list of fast chargers here.

Looking at the Aerovironment DC Fast Charge Station which looks like the best option for personal use, it requires 480VAC, 3 phase power, 42 amps max.

There isn't a price listed for that unit but some of the others range from $19,000 to $40,000 USD.

Dan

DHouk said:
Parker,

Looking at the Aerovironment DC Fast Charge Station which looks like the best option for personal use, it requires 480VAC, 3 phase power, 42 amps max.

There isn't a price listed for that unit but some of the others range from $19,000 to $40,000 USD.

Dan

Thanks Dan for the reply - the web site was very interesting.

One question ... does the Active E use an SAE J1772 plug .... and did the chargers come with the car? or did you have to buy / install them separately?

Parker said:
DHouk said:
Parker,

Dan

Thanks Dan for the reply - the web site was very interesting.

One question ... does the Active E use an SAE J1772 plug .... and did the chargers come with the car? or did you have to buy / install them separately?

Yes Parker, the ActiveE uses the J1772 connector for level 1(120v) & level 2 charging (208v to 240v) as does all other modern EV's except for Tesla which made their own proprietary plug. However here we are talking about DC Quick charge and that a whole different thing. The chargers Dan sent you a link to all use the CHAdeMO connector which will charge a LEAF or a Mitsubishi iMiEV. CHAdeMO was developed by Japans electric utility Tempco, and is the standard there. Nissan and Mitsubishi employed it on their cars because there was no other 'standard' developed at the time, however now there is and it's called the CCS (Combined Charging System) which integrates the J1772 inlet with two more pins for DC Quick charge, eliminating the need for two charge ports (One for the J1772 when charging level 1 & 2 and one for the CHAdeMO connector. BMW along with most all other major automakers agreed to use the CCS, system with only the japanese manufacturers objecting.

This complicates thing because lets say you get a BMW i3, you can't use a CHAdeMO charger to fast charge. Similarly, a LEAF won't be able to use a CCS quick charger like you can. It's going to be a mess for a while, but things will sort themselves out. In the short term DC QUick chargers will most likely be outfitted with one of each so they can charge with both types of connectors, but none of them have been installed yet.

The question is will it be possible to make a jumper cable to convert from CHAdeMO to CCS and vis versa? Beyond the voltage and amperage requirements, how compatible are the communication protocols? Tesla already provides a jumper cable to convert from J1772 to their plug. Is this something an enterprising individual can develop and market?

Dan

DHouk said:
The question is will it be possible to make a jumper cable to convert from CHAdeMO to CCS and vis versa? Beyond the voltage and amperage requirements, how compatible are the communication protocols? Tesla already provides a jumper cable to convert from J1772 to their plug. Is this something an enterprising individual can develop and market?

Dan

No such adaptor currently exists Dan. The Tesla>J1772 connector was not too difficult for tesla because Tesla uses the J1772 Protocol. From what I understand CHAdeMO and CCS are very different and an adaptor as such would include expensive electronics inside. I had someone tell me it would probably cost thousands of dollars to make so it's not likely you would buy one.

Just had a phone call from my BMW dealer i expert (great!)

The BMW Wallbox comes with the "80% in 30 mins" type charger built in .... that’s really great news ......... and the full trickle charge (with 32amps and 240v) should take approx 3-4 hours.

With a plan we have here called Economy7 (charged at night) that equates to about £1.5 - £2.0 a fill up.

Also here the UK more electricity you use ...... the cheaper it gets.... which sort of seems logical.

Parker said:
Just had a phone call from my BMW dealer i expert (great!)

The BMW Wallbox comes with the "80% in 30 mins" type charger built in .... that’s really great news ......... and the full trickle charge (with 32amps and 240v) should take approx 3-4 hours.

With a plan we have here called Economy7 (charged at night) that equates to about £1.5 - £2.0 a fill up.

Also here the UK more electricity you use ...... the cheaper it gets.... which sort of seems logical.

Don't get too excited yet Parker - I believe he is mistaken. The quick charge (80% in 30 mins) requires very high voltage (460v-480v) which I doubt you would have access to at your home although I don't know how it works in the UK. Here in the States nobody has that supply at their home, and even most commercial buildings don't. Plus the electronics for DC quick charge is very expensive and commercial units cost $20,000 to $30,000. Sorry, but there just is no way BMW has packaged DC Quick charge capability in their home charging equipment. I would love to be proved wrong, but I'm afraid the 'expert' needs to go back to school on this! ;)

Back