First i3 in NYS Capital District

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

user 1096

I understand that I am the first i3 in NYS Capital District (Albany/Schenectady/Troy). It sure does get the looks, even in laurel gray, which as Tom notes, relieves the stark-contrast black top-treatments. I actually prefer the brighter wool interior over the dark leather, but the alabaster steering wheel and floor mats are bound for grunge.

I'm calling in our Bosch/BMW installer this week for an estimate, but I expect the worst, having a 175 year-old monstrous house (rehabbed 35 years ago). Also, I don't have a garage but park on Hudson Riverfront, quiet streets. It will be instructive to hear their suggestions, but I deduce they won't have any particular experience. Stay tuned.

sounds great, but be concerned... about the old house that is. two phrases that normally don't go well together. old houses and wiring codes. suggest you have the whole house looked at (after living in a very old home myself 150+ years old). many contractors won't touch the house if any wiring looks out of code. you should be able to find the building inspectors sign-off sheet, hope it was signed off / inspected all those years ago. having been through this myself, if contractors see something bad or very wrong (dangerously wrong) they have a duty to inform about it. the costs in our case added up to much more than just a few new feet of wire and couple new circuits (whole new house rewire $OOMG$!!!). good luck!

Jetfuel said:
sounds great, but be concerned... about the old house that is. two phrases that normally don't go well together. old houses and wiring codes. suggest you have the whole house looked at (after living in a very old home myself 150+ years old). many contractors won't touch the house if any wiring looks out of code. you should be able to find the building inspectors sign-off sheet, hope it was signed off / inspected all those years ago. having been through this myself, if contractors see something bad or very wrong (dangerously wrong) they have a duty to inform about it. the costs in our case added up to much more than just a few new feet of wire and couple new circuits (whole new house rewire $OOMG$!!!). good luck!
One way to estimate the general condition of an electrical system is to look at the panels to see who made them.
Fuses- not good.
Zinsco panel/Circuit breakers Really Bad
GE, Square D, Cutler Hammer, Good

Also, there is no magic to installing a charger, when it is inside it's halfway between a Range and a Dryer outlet. When outside, it's a big Hot Tub. When outside and complicated by structural issues, it's a boat dock Shore Power installation.

AviatorMan said:
Jetfuel said:
One way to estimate the general condition of an electrical system is to look at the panels to see who made them.
Fuses- not good.
Zinsco panel/Circuit breakers Really Bad
GE, Square D, Cutler Hammer, Good

Also, there is no magic to installing a charger, when it is inside it's halfway between a Range and a Dryer outlet. When outside, it's a big Hot Tub. When outside and complicated by structural issues, it's a boat dock Shore Power installation.

Thx for that rule of thumb on service installations. Mine is all Square D and was installed by a (union) father/son team right here in town who were licensed by the city, and of course it was inspected in 1978.

The outside Bosch electrician came by and looked things over, said I'd need a new, larger panel because mine was full to capacity. He said however that there was enough electric service present to handle the added load. That was all three weeks ago; I called them back this week and they said they'd check on the estimate get back to me. I suspect they are not fond of dealing with old houses/installations, but this is fairly straight forward and only a matter of a few feet of new line needed as the outlet is going to be virtually next to the existing service entrance. Also they have been doing a lot of Tesla installations too --homes and shopping center kiosks.

Back