flexibility of the range extender

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

johnplv

We live in the western United States. I wonder if as an option with the range extender generator
the company has considered a supplemental fuel tank; this would feed through to the regular
tank and allow a greater range. Important here for two reasons: Away from civilization gas stations
can be pretty far apart. And, on a lengthy day through trip, say five to six hundred miles it would be
most helpful to stop for gas just once.

This would open the vehicle here in America to a market beyond its urban target, and I should think
that the flexibility/security added, while not frequently necessary, would add greatly to the peace of
mind for the owner, as well as to the bottom line of the company.

Many thanks for response/comments.

5 or 6 hundred mile travel is clearly not the intent of the i3 REx. It is meant to give the suburban moms peace of mind - and in case you run out of battery jiuce to be able to reach home (or some other charging station).

Ofcourse this doesn't preclude some of us from trying longer trips - but I think for the most part that would be limited to day trips that are 200 miles or so one way.

Gotta agree with evnow John. We don't have the official specifications yet, but it does seem clear the car was not intended or people that would want to drive it 500 or 600 miles at a clip.

It's not a do-everything car, however it's designed to do what it does do very well.

I believe the built in tank is about 2 1/2 gallons, so if you buy a 5 gallon jerry can you can fill it up twice during your long trip. Darn sight less expensive than a hypothetical option offered by BMW for a range extender tank for the range extender!

According to this article: http://www.myelectriccarforums.com/bmw-i3-range-anxiety-solved-by-free-loaner-ice/ , they make it sound like the range extender is only good for 100 or so more miles - which makes me wonder if the 2 cylinder engine can put enough out to run the car completely on it's own, or if, only when used with a fully charged battery, does the range extender have the ability to extend range (by perhaps supplementing 80% of power needed when accelerating, going up hills etc) which makes the battery pack last that much longer.

Do you know if the range extender can power the vehicle on its own? If so, then what is the big deal of thinking it needs a bigger tank? Just stop and fill it up more often!

Back