Free gift from BMW UK

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BoMW

A pleasant and unexpected surprise through the post box today, a small package from BMW UK. As I opened it up I was expecting a felt cover for the instruction manual just like in the USA but no, a plastic key cover and a small white note book inc. i philosophy

The book is bizarre; mainly empty, white pages - apparently to record your feelings about the car.

The workings of the German mind are a bit obscure to me.

I actually bought a fob cover to keep from inadvertently pressing the unlock button while in my pocket (the thing is too close to the edge - most others have it as a button in the middle of the fob). I installed it backwards, covering the keys since I have comfort access, I almost never need to actually press them. Works fine.

I got the present too. :D

We got the wine and chocs last week, same reason, been to the garage twice.
Ours has only been back once though, although it was once recovered when my wife ran out of charge......

How we laughed at our stupidity as we enjoyed the wine and chocolates. :lol:

In the colonies we all got a free key fob cover (useless in my opinion) as a sort of "mea culpa" by the marketing department after they sent out personalized letters with a carbon fiber sample, addressed to the wrong people!

Then we got a second box with another piece of carbon fiber and another personalized letter, this time sent to the correct person. All three boxes went straight into the trash.

I'm mystified by BMW's fixation on carbon fiber. The stuff has been around for a long time. My boat has more carbon fiber in it than the i3 does and it was built almost eight years ago!

BMW sending me bits of carbon fiber was just a mystery. I would really have preferred the two bottles of wine with chocolates!

Goldcj7 said:
I got the present too. :D

We got the wine and chocs last week, same reason, been to the garage twice.
Ours has only been back once though, although it was once recovered when my wife ran out of charge......

How we laughed at our stupidity as we enjoyed the wine and chocolates. :lol:

What actually happened when your wife ran out of charge? You called BMW and they put car onto low loader and towed you where? Did they charge you for this?
Should be picking up my BEV in the next couple of weeks and my wife is worrying! Should I have got the REX???

My wife attempted an 80 mile motorway journey without my knowledge....

When she was 15 miles from home she phoned to say that there was only 5 miles range left, I told her to switch to ecopro+ and slow right down but it was too late, if she'd done that earlier she would have made it.

She got to within a mile of our house before the car stopped, phoned BMW, they sent a truck which brought the car home, no cost incurred. Phew!

Just so people know, after the range went to zero the car drove at least another 2 miles before it stopped. When it eventually came to rest it did it gradually over about 300m allowing Mrs J to find somewhere convenient to park, no one was in danger. The recovery driver said I was the third i3 he'd recovered

I don't regret getting the BEV for a minute, we have another car for longer journeys, and as the rapid chargers roll out we'll be venturing further afield. I didn't like driving the REX as it felt heavy and slow after the BEV.

Mrs J has no qualms about driving the car after the incident which I've taken the blame for, I never really explained what the actual range was to her. But I have to admit the chocolates and wine have gone down well with us, a reward for stupidity, maybe we should do it again..

My experiences with range are thus for info

Everyday driving in the summer - take me as a very spirited driver - 70 miles
Summer driving in ecopro keeping to 60mph max - over 90 miles easy, probably 100 but you'd be close to running out of charge then
Now it's colder spirited driving on winter tyres - 60 miles

Hope this helps - she'll love the car - although maybe driving it in ecopro at first will help as it doesn't feel quite so fast and the range is better - the acceleration in normal can be quite shocking.

Goldcj7 said:
My wife attempted an 80 mile motorway journey without my knowledge....

When she was 15 miles from home she phoned to say that there was only 5 miles range left, I told her to switch to ecopro+ and slow right down but it was too late, if she'd done that earlier she would have made it.

She got to within a mile of our house before the car stopped, phoned BMW, they sent a truck which brought the car home, no cost incurred. Phew!

Just so people know, after the range went to zero the car drove at least another 2 miles before it stopped. When it eventually came to rest it did it gradually over about 300m allowing Mrs J to find somewhere convenient to park, no one was in danger. The recovery driver said I was the third i3 he'd recovered

I don't regret getting the BEV for a minute, we have another car for longer journeys, and as the rapid chargers roll out we'll be venturing further afield. I didn't like driving the REX as it felt heavy and slow after the BEV.

Mrs J has no qualms about driving the car after the incident which I've taken the blame for, I never really explained what the actual range was to her. But I have to admit the chocolates and wine have gone down well with us, a reward for stupidity, maybe we should do it again..

My experiences with range are thus for info

Everyday driving in the summer - take me as a very spirited driver - 70 miles
Summer driving in ecopro keeping to 60mph max - over 90 miles easy, probably 100 but you'd be close to running out of charge then
Now it's colder spirited driving on winter tyres - 60 miles

Hope this helps - she'll love the car - although maybe driving it in ecopro at first will help as it doesn't feel quite so fast and the range is better - the acceleration in normal can be quite shocking.
Thanks Goldcj7 for a really useful post. I feel re-assured. Winter tyres? Did you buy a spare set of wheels and tyres for the winter? Would love to hear more.

No problem, I got the winter tyres off ebay and they're fitted to my std (427) wheels, got them for about £100 each. If I can find some nicer wheels for summer use I'll get some in the spring and fit my summer tyres to them but there aren't many about second hand. I've got my eye on the Mak Watt wheels which are the only aftermarket wheel I can find in Europe, but they're expensive at the mo especially when you consider you have to add TPMS sensors too, will keep looking.

You'll love the BEV, everybody that travels in/ has a go in mine does.

Only thing I don't like are the rear doors, which look cool but don't add much practicality over a two door in reality.

When you getting yours?

Back