FYI: Your iRemote username/password is all caps

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Schnort

When I sent my car to the shop, my iRemote app started giving me 'timeout' and asked to fill out the username and password again. (I don't know if it's related, but it seemed to be)

Anyways, it had long since left my memory that the username & password had to be typed in all caps. I would have never guessed that and had to talk to BMW to get that info again.

So, just sharing that with you if you ever find yourself in the same situation.

Really?

So maybe it's up to the guy at BMW assist who typed it in?

So strange. So strange. Why they don't have a website to manage this is entirely beyond me. (Or maybe they do outside the US?)

The BMW Assist/ConnectedDrive backend works differently in North America compared to the rest of the world. Setup and other functions route through a call center. Reps handle everything for customers. There is no self service or web portal. The ALL CAPS username/password has been in effect for years. Not unique to BMW i. Though it probably partially explains why we have a unique i Remote app.

OMG...my iRemote wanted me to log in after the last app auto-update.

I couldn't remember the username/password, so I called the 800 number.

They told me ALL UPPER CASE. Didn't work. They did a reset. Didn't work. Said give it some time. Didn't work. Called next day. Rinse & repeat. They filed a ticket with IT support. Having not heard from them I called today; they did another reset and still didn't work. They said the ticket they filed can take up to 3 weeks to get acted upon.

Sooooooo...

Based on this thread I just tried LOWER case email address and WHAM, I'm in!

Thanks for posting that info. I would never have stopped to think that maybe they were WRONG!

stumbledotcom said:
The BMW Assist/ConnectedDrive backend works differently in North America compared to the rest of the world. Setup and other functions route through a call center. Reps handle everything for customers. There is no self service or web portal. The ALL CAPS username/password has been in effect for years. Not unique to BMW i. Though it probably partially explains why we have a unique i Remote app.
I wonder if that's what they believe will provide a 'luxury' experience to keep up the brand expectations in NA?

Personally, I find it irritating as all get out that I have to call somebody and TELL them my password or have them tell it to me over the phone. And it has to be in all caps (or all not caps). It doesn't say 'luxury' or concierge to me, it says 'luddite'.

Schnort said:
stumbledotcom said:
Personally, I find it irritating as all get out that I have to call somebody and TELL them my password or have them tell it to me over the phone. And it has to be in all caps (or all not caps). It doesn't say 'luxury' or concierge to me, it says 'luddite'.

Not to mention: on what other planet are usernames case sensitive!

Problem I have is that my car ceases charging on the home charger all the time: could be the charger or the car but doesn't matter, I just need to know. Since the car isn't smart enough to message or email me that it has ceased charging when it should (my Plug-In Prius did; my Leaf does), iRemote is what I need to use to check whether the car is still charging. My backup plan has been to place a web came in the garage aimed at the charge port; when I look at the cam and the LED is dark, then I have to fish out my remote and unlock the car to see whether the LED is green.

Really high tech car!

Back