Hard Wire EVSE in Orange CA

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

easports82

Just moved to a new home and need to get my EVSE wired. The panel is ready to accept the circuit; main cost is running the wire, which has been estimated at 240' (panel is on the back of the house and the wire has to run along the exterior and dropped 1 story before reaching the garage). I got a quote for $800 to install. Does that sound about right or have people paid less?

Electricians probably get about $150/hour (master with helper) in your area. Materials would run in the order of $250 for using 8g wire, and a bit more if you wanted to upgrade it to #6, which might be a good idea given the length, or even more should you want to be able to later add an EVSE that is bigger than the current i3 can use (it won't hurt the i3). Then, not knowing how much difficulty it would be to string the wire, anchor and protect it properly, that distance, it could be fair. Throw in an electrical permit and inspection which might cost in the order of $75 or maybe more. Local costs vary all over the place depending on market. Time required is hard to quote without being there. Technically, it's just running wire, anchoring the thing, and hooking up three wires in the electrical box near the unit and a new CB in the panel.

Back