headrests adjustment?

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

noakey

Hi all... i am pretty tall and find the front seat headrests are awkward... i don't think they are adjustable either... unless anyone has discovered they are? Help... My neck hurts..

noakey said:
Hi all... i am pretty tall and find the front seat headrests are awkward... i don't think they are adjustable either... unless anyone has discovered they are? Help... My neck hurts..

Bummer for you. I'm 6'3 and the i3 front headrests work fine for me, but I have ridden in other cars where the head rests didn't go up high enough and hit me in the neck, so I can definitely sympathize with you.

I also tried the Tesla - and there the issue wasn't that the headrest wasn't tall enough, it was that for some bizarre reason it has a sizable lump that sticks out from it at the base of the headrest and THAT dug into a very uncomfortable point in my back just below my neck. The sales guy told me that he had had one other tall guy who encountered the same issue who had gone ahead and bought the car but spent several thousand dollars then doing a custom seat retrofit. Too much for me!

As for the back headrests, at least they do fold down so they don't eat up precious rear view mirror viewing space! I also tried the new Mercedes B class and the rear headrests in that do not go all the way down (nor is it even possible to remove them), so your view in the rear view mirror is severely compromised.

Best of luck to you.

tiburonh said:
noakey said:

Bummer for you. I'm 6'3 and the i3 front headrests work fine for me, but I have ridden in other cars where the head rests didn't go up high enough and hit me in the neck, so I can definitely sympathize with you.

I also tried the Tesla - and there the issue wasn't that the headrest wasn't tall enough, it was that for some bizarre reason it has a sizable lump that sticks out from it at the base of the headrest and THAT dug into a very uncomfortable point in my back just below my neck. The sales guy told me that he had had one other tall guy who encountered the same issue who had gone ahead and bought the car but spent several thousand dollars then doing a custom seat retrofit. Too much for me!

As for the back headrests, at least they do fold down so they don't eat up precious rear view mirror viewing space! I also tried the new Mercedes B class and the rear headrests in that do not go all the way down (nor is it even possible to remove them), so your view in the rear view mirror is severely compromised.

Best of luck to you.

Hmmm... i am fussy about seating, but it's only after daily journeys that I really noticed the awkward headrest. .

Does anyone know if the seats can be replaced with other bmw or after fit services?

The only differences in i3 seats that I'm aware of is what they are covered with, not the shape or style. Given the relatively low production level, and fact that they are specifically built to be lite, I'm not sure there'd be much of an aftermarket.

What is likely possible, would be to take the seat to a customizer, and rebuild it almost in any way you wanted on the same frame. There's a lot of science to make it still work properly with the air bags, though, and your choice of provider would need to be well researched and vetted. Changing the entire frame might not perform as well in a crash test where you are the dummy, though!

I also find the seats and headrest uncomfortable. I am over 6', so the headrest is positioned correctly but seems to be forward of the seat, somewhat encouraging a slouched, head forward posture - at least for me. At work I spend a lot of time sitting so unfortunately it all adds up.

I have been looking at car seat covers, as long as they don't cover the airbags I am planning on getting some and hiding some memory foam or something underneath to help straighten me up a bit and help the lumbar area. Seems easier than replacing the seat.

Let us know if you have found a good solution.

Back