How do you think its going to sell in 2015?

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Alexander99

Reading through the various blogs and facebook it really sounds like BMW has stubbed their toe in a number of key areas in the US;

1 - no sunroof
2 - fully loaded only for 3 months (and only one interior color)
3 - incredibly weak sales staff knowledge
4 - dismal residuals leading to ridiculous lease payments published on multiple sites
5 - not passing along the full $7,500 federal rebate (for whatever reason) which every other electric car producer has done.

All of that said, it's a fun car to drive, interior is fantastic and it checks all the boxes for recycling and such.

So the question is this, after the initial hype, how do you think it will sell in 2015?

Will it be sold out, with waiting lists? Or will it be $3k off sticker with a subsidized lease w/zero money factor to move 'em?

Having paid $500 off MSRP to preorder one of the first Plug-in Priuses, which I could have bought for $5000 less not too long after delivery, I've been asking myself the same question.

Supply and demand is one factor. It's a great car for Europe, which might keep the supply down in the U.S.

The other issue is competition. Not a lot out there in the class right now, but give it a year or two. Or maybe six months until the Mercedes B-class Electric gets here.

toolworker said:
Having paid $500 off MSRP to preorder one of the first Plug-in Priuses, which I could have bought for $5000 less not too long after delivery, I've been asking myself the same question.

Supply and demand is one factor. It's a great car for Europe, which might keep the supply down in the U.S.

The other issue is competition. Not a lot out there in the class right now, but give it a year or two. Or maybe six months until the Mercedes B-class Electric gets here.

Speaking of which: there seems to be a vacuum of info about the B Class electric. Anyone with any insight?

In the UK this much depends on the government incentives and tax breaks. Its an expensive car and a majority of orders are from companies, and therefore they will be used by individuals as a benefit in kind (but with no fee due).

If the UK government starts to tax companies that purchase these little machines (and the tax the employees that use them privately), then all of a sudden it becomes cheaper for said companies to start purchasing gas cars again, leaving the electric only machines high and dry. It will be very sad and a missed opportunity.

Its a shame that the UK gov doesn't support electric cars in the way that norway does. It kinda like they want to but they don't want to.

Soooo....the answer to your question isss.... I don't know.... :shock:

Alexander99 said:
Reading through the various blogs and facebook it really sounds like BMW has stubbed their toe in a number of key areas in the US;

1 - no sunroof
2 - fully loaded only for 3 months (and only one interior color)
3 - incredibly weak sales staff knowledge
4 - dismal residuals leading to ridiculous lease payments published on multiple sites
5 - not passing along the full $7,500 federal rebate (for whatever reason) which every other electric car producer has done.

All of that said, it's a fun car to drive, interior is fantastic and it checks all the boxes for recycling and such.

So the question is this, after the initial hype, how do you think it will sell in 2015?

Will it be sold out, with waiting lists? Or will it be $3k off sticker with a subsidized lease w/zero money factor to move 'em?

Two other negatives to add to your list, for the US version of the REx anyway:
• Can't engage the gas motor until the battery is nearly spent
• In California, no white HOV sticker ever, and probably no green sticker either given that it now looks like the limit on green stickers may well be reached before the first i3 arrives here.

And one general negative for the US: BMW is being very secretive about WHY no sunroof in the US. There is increasing chatter about it being due to a lack of structural integrity in the new carbon fiber plastic body.

I still love the car, but, given all these issues, have now decided definitively to hold off buying until they get through the launch and we see how these issues get resolved. If these issues don't get resolved positively, for sure the prices will get cut in 2015.

tiburonh said:
I still love the car, but, given all these issues, have now decided definitively to hold off buying until they get through the launch and we see how these issues get resolved. If these issues don't get resolved positively, for sure the prices will get cut in 2015.

Our "local dealer," rumored in earlier months to be planning on a $5000 premium over MSRP, is now not charging a premium, though they might be going back to $2500.

When a salesman tells me that, I'm thinking they are not getting the flood of orders they expected and want to push me to order now.

But I'm leaning your way too. If I could get an i3 REx today with my choice of options, I'd write a check on the spot. But this is getting so complicated, and who knows what the situation will look like in three months. By then there should be more info on the Mercedes B-Class Electric too.

toolworker said:
tiburonh said:

Our "local dealer," rumored in earlier months to be planning on a $5000 premium over MSRP, is now not charging a premium, though they might be going back to $2500.

When a salesman tells me that, I'm thinking they are not getting the flood of orders they expected and want to push me to order now.

But I'm leaning your way too. If I could get an i3 REx today with my choice of options, I'd write a check on the spot. But this is getting so complicated, and who knows what the situation will look like in three months. By then there should be more info on the Mercedes B-Class Electric too.

Note this post that appeared on the BMWi3 Facebook page today:

"Kerri Till
Hi Everyone,
Just wanted to let you all know that I have 15 i3's for May delivery available through my dealership.
We will not be marking these cars up over sticker so it's a great time to buy!
My direct line is 415-482-2064!
Go i3 power Go!"

Ms Till is a CA at one of the dealers that just a few weeks ago was asserting that (a) they were going to charge $5,000 over MSRP, and (b) they had already pre sold all of their initial allocation.

Prices may drop sooner than anyone thought……..

The information I received was that the i3 is solely owned by BMW MUNICH. Dealers are just handling the sales and get a handling fee so they are unable to offer a discount or add a premium to the MSRP. This is how it is in the UK and I would think that this is the same in US.

BoMW said:
The information I received was that the i3 is solely owned by BMW MUNICH. Dealers are just handling the sales and get a handling fee so they are unable to offer a discount or add a premium to the MSRP. This is how it is in the UK and I would think that this is the same in US.
Is that just for the launch period, or will it be that way indefinitely?

BoMW said:

I can't speak for Europe, but this would be illegal in the US. Manufacturers here are only allowed to "suggest" the retail price (thus the term MSRP -- manufacturer's suggested retail price). Dealers are totally free to charge whatever they think the market will bear.

toolworker said:
BoMW said:
Is that just for the launch period, or will it be that way indefinitely?

I'm not sure for how long but I would think that while the I-brand is separate from bmw motors this would be indefinitely. The dealers in the UK are not able to discount the i3, if there is a customer who cancels, the dealer is unable to keep the car, it has to be returned to Munich. BMW Park Lane offer VIP and preferential sales to F1, MotoGP and Golf organisations with big discounts however the i3 is not included in this scheme.

BoMW said:
The dealers in the UK are not able to discount the i3, if there is a customer who cancels, the dealer is unable to keep the car, it has to be returned to Munich.
Probably different in the US. My dealer says that if a buyer cancels, the dealer keeps the car to sell.

As far as I can tell, the i3 is being sold in Australia only through BMW owned dealerships.

They are saying that the car will go to independent dealerships at some point, but no plan is evident.

tiburonh said:
BoMW said:

I can't speak for Europe, but this would be illegal in the US. Manufacturers here are only allowed to "suggest" the retail price (thus the term MSRP -- manufacturer's suggested retail price). Dealers are totally free to charge whatever they think the market will bear.

Car manufacturers are prevented from selling directly to the public by dealer franchise laws in most US states. The important subtlety is that the laws are at the state level. While many states have similar statutes, there is no national law. A few significant exceptions exist. One example that's received a bit of attention lately is Tesla's inability to sell vehicles in Texas. Its stores in Austin and Houston comically cannot quote prices or offer test drives.

So US car dealers are independent businesses, own their inventory and can resell vehicles for what the market will bear. In reality, the manufacturers have multiple ways of keeping dealers in line—vehicle allocations, advertising funds, employee training, etc.

The Monroney sticker aka window sticker, which must carry the vehicle's price even if it includes dealer add-ons, was created as consumer protection. NYTimes has a good overview. http://www.nytimes.com/2009/01/04/automobiles/04MONRONEY.html

Back to the original question. I suspect there will be an initial spike of sales then demand will even out. Future demand and sales will depend upon geography. Probably won't be strong in suburban and exurban areas once the EV enthusiast demand in those areas is met. But urban markets will be completely different. As someone who lives in, works in, and rarely leave the borders of a major city, I find the i3 an extremely compelling proposition, irregardless of its propulsion method. I suspect many of my neighbors will develop similar feelings.

Back