How is the ride quality?

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cab

The i3 has a pretty short wheelbase (about the same as the mk6 VW Golf). As sort of a parallel to my post around whether the i3 inspires you to drive it like a hot hatch, my next question is "how is the ride quality?" One of the things BMW always used to do best was manage great handling and feedback w/o killing ride quality. I say "used to" because they still seem to have challenges with run-flat tires (but that looks to be getting better in their current generation of cars). Would like to know your impressions of:

1. Impact harshness - these are the sharp impacts over pothole edges, expansion cracks, and any sudden change in road surface. This includes the SOUND level as, believe it or not, loud thwacks can actually contribute to the perception of impact harshness.

2. General ride comfort at lower speeds over a bit rougher surfaces - are you getting jostled about or are things absorbed w/o excessive movement?

3. Any cars you've owned that you would care to compare it to.

Thanks all!

Hello Cab,

To be honest, i3 is the best car I have ever driven. It is so good indeed.

Runs so smoothly with no vibrations even very high speeds like 90miles per hour. In highways when you drive at 70 miles it runs like water flowing in a river.

The speed of the car is unbelievable. Sprints like a squirrel in city and Jets like a rocket in Highways. What more can I ask for, Active cruise control perhaps, which slows down the car in front slows down. Even it will come to a full stop when the car in front stops. I hardly use my pedals nowadays. Everything is done by the buttons in the steering wheel. It is a sheer bliss.

When I drive in Eco Pro mode - I get 75 to 80 miles per charge. I drive mostly in motorways so that is very good indeed. If I only do city driving I can see it doing 100miles easily. Eco Pro also allows full function of fan heater and

However if I only drive in Comfort mode - it drains the battery very quickly. I get about 55 miles per charge. But comfort mode is like a sport mode and I do not need such high speeds.

The music sounds so sumptuous in Harman kardamen speakers, infact there are 10 speakers indeed. As it is very quiet inside you can enjoy the music to your hearts content. In fact, I am enjoying classical music so much nowadays.

i3 deserves all the accolades that has been heaped upon it.

I have Rex model.
Highly recommended.

regards,
ken

I’ve only had a 30 minute test drive. But going in, I had some apprehension about the i3 handling based upon comments in the first drives published by R&T, C&D and other enthusiast books so I paid particular attention to the dynamics.

My route took me over San Francisco streets that have been torn up by construction along with a few minutes on an elevated freeway where I managed to hit 80 mph. The test car wore the 20” wheels and summer performance rubber.

I’d term the ride and handling BMW typical. The i3 struck me as a tad softer than my E90 (sport suspension, 17” wheels and run-flat summer performance tires) but not as isolated as say the standard F30 set up.

Noise is another matter. Since there’s no engine racket, you’re more aware of road texture and thrumming from the suspension. Definitely falls into the hear more than feel category. It’s not offensive and probably lower decibels overall than a ICE vehicle but it is different. I purposely kept the sound system off during my test so I can imagine that music would compensate.

Keep in mind my tastes run to firmer setups in general. Probably because one of my first cars was a VW GTI Mk1. Talk about a short wheelbase and firm suspension. In addition to the previously mentioned E90, I also currently drive a VW Touareg V8 with the adjustable air suspension that I keep in Sport 99% of the time.

The test drive convinced me that the i3 will be superb for daily, city use — just as BMW intends. I decided to order one even before the drive was over.

Back