i3 as emergency generator?

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If we're going to talk about public policy and not just private tinkerers, then I think they answer is to offer incentives for companies to sell a combo PV Solar inverter / SAE DC Combo charger. Why? You get dual use of important components: high power AC inverter, DC connectivity (assuming SAE standard can be tweaked to be bi-directional), automatic load balancing/switching, perhaps others.

With this set up, you could:

1. Power your whole house during emergencies, automatically (although you'd probably want to shed your biggest loads like A/C and electric ovens and dryers).

2. Charge your from Sunshine via a DC-DC connection, increasing efficiency.

3. Allow the power company to manage system load by giving them access to, say, 20% of you SOC to pump on to the Grid during peak usage-- then top you off later.

You get the idea: you get a "private UPS" for your house, PLUS the potential to turn all plugged in cars into a MASSIVE public battery to help optimize the grid.....

How does it advantage me to spend my own money for a PV system and EV only to allow Enron to use it as a free power storage system? This allows them to avoid capital spending, increase profits and dividends for shareholders, but what does it do for me? I already get my electricity for free.

State and federal incentive programs that subsidize EVs and PV systems are put in place to cut greenhouse gas emissions, not to line the pockets of those who own our power grid.

who knows who would pay whom how much. My point is that there is collective value there. Allocating it is another matter.

FWIW, the electrician who installed my EVSE said that new houses in CT are required to have one (a 240vac EVSE). Now, I don't live there, and can't comment on if he was correct, but it sounds like a good idea to me! I think EVs will become much more common in order to meet the fuel efficiency standards, and preparing for them on new construction makes sense. If not a BEV, then a plug-in hybrid, and both will require charging structures.

Back