[i3 BEV] Drivetrain error

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bigbigmo

Hello from Pacific Northwest, dear BMW i3 owners,
I am happy to join this group. I am reaching out to this knowledgeable community for some guidance and expertise. Recently, I purchased a 2015 BMW i3 BEV from Copart. Unfortunately, I am facing some challenges with the vehicle – it neither moves nor charges.
Here's what I have tried so far:
- Replaced the 12v battery.
- Checked all fuses for any issues.
- Inspected the wired connector under the car between the EME and the high-voltage battery.
- Check isolation with tester for all cables from EME. All shows >4000MOhm, only line to EKK show 50 MOhm

Attempted to clear errors using ISTA; however, I'm still left with several persistent errors:
222636 EME: internal fault (high-voltage safety function)
222816 High-voltage power management: High-voltage interlock loop, circuit interrupted
22281C High-voltage power management: High-voltage system not started in spite of request
222C06 EME, high-voltage interlock loop, signal: Short-circuit/open circuit
222C07 EME, high-voltage interlock loop, signal: Not plausible
8011CD Air conditioning control box: Incorrect version installed

Given these specific error codes and the actions I've already taken, I would deeply appreciate any advice or suggestions you might have to help resolve these issues. Has anyone encountered similar problems, and if so, how were they addressed?

Thank you in advance for your time and assistance!

Not an expert, but was this vehicle in a crash? The high voltage connection to the traction battery may have been disabled as a safety feature immediately after a crash. You may have to visit an independent BMW repair shop and ask them for help diagnosing the error codes... they MIGHT have the proper computer software... just a guess.

Well the car was "totaled" by insurance for a reason. That's why it was for sale at Copart. If it was a simple fix, someone might have done it and it would not be for sale at Copart. If there is no crash damage, it could have been submerged in water or who knows.

Not an expert, but was this vehicle in a crash? The high voltage connection to the traction battery may have been disabled as a safety feature immediately after a crash. You may have to visit an independent BMW repair shop and ask them for help diagnosing the error codes... they MIGHT have the proper computer software... just a guess.
It might even be more involved than that. The 12 V safety battery terminal might have fired during a collision which I believe would prevent the HV battery pack from connecting to the HV circuit. In this case, I believe that the safety battery terminal would have to be replaced.

If the safety box in the battery pack housing is preventing its HV contactors from closing, I believe that the battery pack would have to be dropped and its housing opened to replace the safety box. An expensive EoS tester would be needed to complete the repair.

Hello from Pacific Northwest, dear BMW i3 owners,
I am happy to join this group. I am reaching out to this knowledgeable community for some guidance and expertise. Recently, I purchased a 2015 BMW i3 BEV from Copart. Unfortunately, I am facing some challenges with the vehicle – it neither moves nor charges.
Here's what I have tried so far:
- Replaced the 12v battery.
- Checked all fuses for any issues.
- Inspected the wired connector under the car between the EME and the high-voltage battery.
- Check isolation with tester for all cables from EME. All shows >4000MOhm, only line to EKK show 50 MOhm

Attempted to clear errors using ISTA; however, I'm still left with several persistent errors:
222636 EME: internal fault (high-voltage safety function)
222816 High-voltage power management: High-voltage interlock loop, circuit interrupted
22281C High-voltage power management: High-voltage system not started in spite of request
222C06 EME, high-voltage interlock loop, signal: Short-circuit/open circuit
222C07 EME, high-voltage interlock loop, signal: Not plausible
8011CD Air conditioning control box: Incorrect version installed

Given these specific error codes and the actions I've already taken, I would deeply appreciate any advice or suggestions you might have to help resolve these issues. Has anyone encountered similar problems, and if so, how were they addressed?

Thank you in advance for your time and assistance!
Hi there. I'm no expert either but I can tell you a story about our i3 which threw up a Drivetrain error, amongst other things, after performing a relatively high speed overtake. It took an age to discover the problem, with lots of things replaced, but the garage eventually discovered that water was getting into the cavities within the body shell, filling up (there were audible sloshing sounds) and, as there are no low level drainage points, it exited half way up the rear seat bulkhead, where it affected the electronics. Reading online forums it appears this issue tends to cause all kinds of errors, making it difficult to identify the actual problem. After 4 months in the garage and totally stripped down, it came down to something as simple as the rear boot seal. I believe the water build-up is a design flaw and that drainage holes have to be drilled into the bodywork (cills) for the water to drain out fully. Potential water ingress into the body shell might therefore be something to explore?

Hi there. I'm no expert either but I can tell you a story about our i3 which threw up a Drivetrain error, amongst other things, after performing a relatively high speed overtake. It took an age to discover the problem, with lots of things replaced, but the garage eventually discovered that water was getting into the cavities within the body shell, filling up (there were audible sloshing sounds) and, as there are no low level drainage points, it exited half way up the rear seat bulkhead, where it affected the electronics. Reading online forums it appears this issue tends to cause all kinds of errors, making it difficult to identify the actual problem. After 4 months in the garage and totally stripped down, it came down to something as simple as the rear boot seal. I believe the water build-up is a design flaw and that drainage holes have to be drilled into the bodywork (cills) for the water to drain out fully. Potential water ingress into the body shell might therefore be something to explore?
So the worn trunk rubber seal caused water getting in? Also did the shop end up replacing the seal?

So the worn trunk rubber seal caused water getting in? Also did the shop end up replacing the seal?
Yes, it took a long time and a lot of testing to find that out though. I've attached an image of what the car looked like. They replaced the seal, amongst other things, whilst trying to ascertain where the leak was coming from. It was under an extended warranty thankfully.

Attachments

• PXL_20230113_094241062.jpg
    PXL_20230113_094241062.jpg
    3.6 MB · Views: 4
Back