i3 Nav Professional- Online/Internet

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

furymn

I'm a bit confused as what the connected drive Internet is really capable of on the Professional navigation system.
http://www.bmw.com/com/en/owners/connected_drive_services/services/information.html

If it has access to internet at all times, does that mean one could access Netflix or Hulu or other related service via the web for their passengers enjoyment?

Has someone with this service tested it out??

Thanks in advance!

No, doesn't work like that.

Yes, the car has a constant internet connection. (In the US it's 3G over Verizon, I believe. Details of Connected Drive implementation vary a bit by country or region. ) But an internet connection doesn't equal full web access. You only can use a few sites or BMW widgets to pull down data such as weather forecasts, headlines, sports scores and simplified Google search. Verizon's service in my SF neighborhood is notoriously overburdened so accessing anything online using iDrive becomes a painfully slow exercise. Similar situation in my E90. It reminds me a lot of internet access on mobile devices before the iPhone came along. Very limited. Very slow. And ultimately not worth the effort.

If you want streaming video for passengers, you probably want a mobile device with its own LTE data plan. You can pipe the audio through the Bluetooth connection but picture stays on the mobile device. At least that's how YouTube on my iPhone 5S works.

Aw man, well that's disappointing.
Thanks for the info though.

Has anyone with an i3 that has professional Nav tried accessing any of those sites (netflix, hulu, youtube, etc)?
What happens? Page doesn't load?

Try this....

BMW.com said:
With the BMW Car Hotspot your passengers can also surf the Internet with their smartphones, tablets or laptops at any time during the journey. Installation of the hotspot is quick and easy thanks to the snap-in adapter in the central armrest. Up to eight devices can receive high-speed Internet at the same time with the new LTE (long-term evolution) wireless communication standard. Wi-Fi in your BMW permits faster data transfer, improved reception, reduced electromagnetic radiation and extended battery life. It can also be used outside of the vehicle for up to 30 minutes.

http://www.bmw.com/com/en/insights/.../connectivity_technologies/index.html#hotspot

Does the i3 support BMW's snap-in adapter system? I can't find it listed among the US specs or options. But we don't get all the options so I wouldn't claim it's definitive.

stumbledotcom said:
Does the i3 support BMW's snap-in adapter system? I can't find it listed among the US specs or options. But we don't get all the options so I wouldn't claim it's definitive.

Yeah, same question. My google search didn't yield any clear answers.

furymn said:
stumbledotcom said:

Hi, This might answer your question.

http://www.shopbmwusa.com/ACCESSORIES/TECHNOLOGY/PHONES

Philip

furymn said:
stumbledotcom said:

The demonstrator I drove had the docking point exactly the same as my F10. That is UK but I'd expect the US to be the same.

Question: If you use this car hotspot snap-in adapter, will you still be able to connect up your phone to your car so you can make/receive calls without resorting to a bluetooth connection?

Back