i3 not repairable after passenger side damage

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

byundt

My beloved 2014 i3 with the 120 mile BMW battery upgrade was hit by a pickup truck on the passenger side in June 2023. To my eye, the damage was two doors and slight sheet metal rippling below them. The dealer-recommended repair shop estimated damage at $5000 plus the structural member beneath the doors. They told me, however, there is only one of those parts in existence (at BMW in Germany), and that said part would only be released to a BMW-authorized rebuilder. The nearest such rebuilder had a five month backlog before they would even look at my car.

Faced with the possibility of additional damage being discovered with more unobtainable parts needed, Geico did a "constructive total" of the car. They paid me far in excess of the damage estimate--actually about what I had bought the used car for in 2017. I was happy with this settlement.

Prior to the accident, I was torqued by BMW's removal of my infotainment features when the cellular service was turned off. I'd have been glad to pay for an upgrade, but none was on offer.

Taking all factors into consideration, it was an easy decision to go with a Tesla Model Y as the replacement.

Back