i3 Software Update (USA)

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Buskraut said:
In some cases the charging rate may be reduced by 30%.

IF you make such fraudulent and misleading statements to a government agency, you could go to jail. They lied to us.

"In some cases." Who, with the new software, has ever seen >7kW charging under ANY thermal conditions?

How many people how had NOT experienced any problems would have wasted a day to get the fix if the knew it would cripple the charging speed?

Buskraut said:
This is the email I received on Aug 29th (ironically, AFTER I had the software updated). Personally I don't think this issue is a big deal, at least for my use. The car takes a little longer to charge than its supposed to, and BMW said they will have it fixed in the next 3 months. If they follow through, I'm good with their response to the situation.

My name is Bryce with BMW of North America, LLC and we wanted to reach out to you to provide important information regarding your BMW i3.

Through BMW’s quality control process, we have become aware of intermittent vehicle software deficiencies, which can be corrected with software updates available from your BMW i3 center. To have the software update performed, please contact your authorized BMW i3 center to schedule a service appointment at your earliest convenience.

The BMW i3 Charging Electronics Control Unit (KLE) can be permanently damaged during hot ambient temperature charging. A temporary software solution will prevent damage to the KLE control unit and the charging rate will now be temperature dependant. In some cases the charging rate may be reduced by 30%. Full 7.4 kW charging will be restored with further improvements in late 2014.

The software update also includes measures that will solve the following issues:
• Air Conditioning issues for the Battery Electric i3
• Check Engine Light activation for the Range Extender i3
• 12V Battery discharge

Unfortunately, the reprogramming will take approximately 3-4 hours. Additional time may be required depending upon the center’s scheduling and processing. The software update will be performed free of charge. Thank you for your support and cooperation.

Should you have additional questions, please do not hesitate to contact us (855) 236-1025. The BMW i Customer Relations and Services Department is available Monday through Friday from 9:00 a.m. to 9:00 p.m., ET.

Sincerely,

Bryce Winters
BMW of North America, LLC.

I think it's important to note that you received this email after the fact. My i3 has been in for 2 software updates now and I have yet to get the official message. I've seen several posted but nothing directly to me.

Also note how it states that charging is temperature based. I've let my car completely cool down after a use, i waited till the next morning and tried to recharge it and I could not get anything better than 4.5 hrs. So even normal charging is crippled. BMW is not being clear on the messaging on purpose and even normal charging in cool weather is reduced.

Those that have Rex version are even worse because the dealer was told by BMW NA that the engine sits near the KLE and if you use the REX it will have a direct impact on heat on the KLE. So if you even get into a situation where the Rex has to be used you have to expect a 6 hr pit stop to get your car fully charged. Completely unacceptable.

I took my car in 2 weeks ago for the update. It is still at the dealer. Something turned up in their diagnostics and they had to order a part from Germany (I assume it is the KLE or something involved with that since they mentioned it had to do with charge regulation).

They've kept me up to date the whole time, so I have no complaints about my dealer. I just wish I had my car back.

I have no idea if this means anything, but since last Thursday the app was not updating and the charge was at 89%. This is also when they thought the part might be in. Today the app is telling me the car is on the charger at 100%. Hopefully I'll hear from them soon.

TM

While it sucks to have something go wrong on your new car and even worse to have to wait a while to get it fixed properly it just par for the course for modern EVs. Most of the bugs seem to be fixed quickly though it will be better soon. On my '13 Leaf I had the Power Distribution Module (the onboard charger) fail a few months after I got it and it took a while for all the bugs to get worked out on that part. In the end it was just a software update that was the real fix even though the entire charger/inverter was replaced on my car. Even the Model S that we have at work has had it's share of bugs.

You guys need to settle down or stop buying cutting edge technology, some like me call it bleeding edge. I worked in engineering on bleeding edge technology for 32 years, if you can't take the heat then get out of the kitchen. Sell your i3 and forget about it. This is new technology and there will be a learning curve. This is a recall event that BMW has said they will fix with new KLE late this year, so fraud does not apply here.

Now that fall is rearing its head and the ambient temperatures are dropping (sorry about that for those down under!), people may start to see the full rate charging. Nothing in the correspondence indicated at what ambient temperatures there could be an issue. And, consider that even in cooler temperatures, in a closed car in bright sunlight, the car and pretty much everything inside can get quite hot, even when that ambient isn't high. There are places where the low temperature, even at this time of the year, may still be in the 70-F range or higher. Throw in some sun, and that may be hot enough to trigger the slower charging.

It may also be that DC fast charging may not be as affected verses level 2...since the power supply is essentially out of the picture when DC fast charging. At least in the USA, there are so few of those around, that we may not have gotten much feedback on users experiences.

How about those in the UK that have had the s/w update that also use the DC fast charging...have you noticed a slowing of the charge rate on that as well? Keep in mind, the times BMW posts are for a full 50Kw DC fast charge unit, and not all of them are that big, so your time will change accordingly.

mindmachine said:
You guys need to settle down or stop buying cutting edge technology, some like me call it bleeding edge. I worked in engineering on bleeding edge technology for 32 years, if you can't take the heat then get out of the kitchen. Sell your i3 and forget about it. This is new technology and there will be a learning curve. This is a recall event that BMW has said they will fix with new KLE late this year, so fraud does not apply here.

+++1!

You want no problems? Buy a Camry/Civic/Etc.

I took mine in last week, took 3 hours for dealer to turn it around.

No issues.

Continue to be delighted with the car daily.

More people are likely to complain when they have a problem than people praising the thing when they don't. So far, mine has done what I expected it to - tomorrow, that could change, but I have some faith that it will continue to work.

jadnashuanh said:
More people are likely to complain when they have a problem than people praising the thing when they don't. So far, mine has done what I expected it to - tomorrow, that could change, but I have some faith that it will continue to work.

Agreed...

I have had a few ups and downs but this is an awesome machine...

kevinb61 said:
mindmachine said:

+++1!

You want no problems? Buy a Camry/Civic/Etc.
I don't know about a Civic. The '09 I had was quite the unreliable car.

jelloslug said:
I don't know about a Civic. The '09 I had was quite the unreliable car.

Hehehe...I was just going with the stereotype...Though that probably goes to the point that any car can have problems. Especially "Bleeding Edge" (yes, I use that term too) tech.

mindmachine, much like you I make my living producing and promoting new technologies. As new markets and products emerge it is important that the vendor (or manufacture) and user have clear and honest lines of communications. Most reasonable adopters of new technologies will put up with basic and straightforward problems as long as they know they have an open communication channel to the vendor. They tend to be cooperative to help the vendor fix bugs. Its what we sign up (or should ) for. These are exactly the kinds of issues that give the technology market and EV market black eyes to the public. It's often no the actual technical problem that makes for a public black eye, but the way the issue is handled.

For me, this is not the case with the i3. I was very clear with BMW, I had a very close charging window and charging performance was key. I was never told of this charge slow down, and only after I took possession of the car with the software update already in it, and ONLY after I dug up the facts. The second issue, the message sent out proclaims the slow down is temperature dependance and hints it might be as large as a %30 decrease. After speaking to the actual service manager, the message is incorrect. In fact ALL charging is limited to the %30 decrease (5.4kW vs 7.4 kW a still advertised on BMW sites) and the rate may be even slower, depending on temps , etc. Due to the range of the car, we need to use public charging stations on a regular basis. Now those charge sessions are far slower than the %30 setback as the car tends to be warm. My home automation system monitors charge rates and they tend to be in the 4.6 - 4.8 kW range, cold, the public chargers tend to be 4.4 to 4.6kW.
There are bugs, which the car has many, that's fine. The charging issue is a serious defect. Not being told of this serious defect, when it was well understood and not communicated to me, when I took possession of the car is the largest issue for me.

I chose to live on the bleeding edge, It's may livelihood. My home is full of beta products. All I ask is the vendor is honest and open with me. For many other endeavors we do, the vendors step up to provide support and we even work extra to help them fix bugs. We need BMW to do the same.

This issue in conjunction with the restricted use of the ReX compared to the EU and UK are major reductions in the functionality of the vehicle. We are still going to go ahead with our lease, but it really rankles me to know that drivers in the rest of the world have a much more capable car that I do. My assumption is that the KLE's will be upgraded and replacement parts eventually installed in all i3's raising the charging rates back to what was promised. Perhaps as soon as Dec. if I read the posts here correctly, but good luck getting CARB to change their definition of a PZEV to give us more control over the range extender.

If I owned one I would seriously consider hacking the car to install the Eu software once it went off warranty. Just like the proliferation of tuning chips for ICE cars, I expect there to be similar for EV's eventually. I realize that there is more to it than flashing an EPROM, but never underestimate hacker culture either.... EV's are high-tech cool and once enough hit the used market at an affordable pricepoint the hotrodders will take over.

jasleinstein said:
mindmachine, much like you I make my living producing and promoting new technologies.......I chose to live on the bleeding edge, It's my livelihood. My home is full of beta products. All I ask is the vendor is honest and open with me. For many other endeavors we do, the vendors step up to provide support and we even work extra to help them fix bugs. We need BMW to do the same.

Ditto. I am in the tech industry and am a serial early adopter. I also took delivery of my car AFTER the charge reduction patch was applied at the port. I understand that BMW would not want to attract the negative PR associated with this issue, but that's life. Instead, they chose remain silent or, when asked, lie. And not about some obscure feature of the car-- in one of THE ONLY THREE selling points listed on the front page of the i3 website (cut and pasted just now):

170 horsepower
120 - 185 miles per charge
Fully charged in approximately 3.5 hours

Two of those three points are misleading/wrong and scream for footnote / disclaimers to make them reasonably fair/accurate. They should disclose the KLE/charging situation and they should note the performance limitations inherent in the U.S. REX implementation.

I'm satisfied with the i3 and would NOT sell it back to BMW if given the choice, but I do not feel the need to be an apologist for BMW's calculated decisions to be less than transparent about the way it markets the car as currently being delivered in the U.S.

I feel a little obligated to separate my comments about BMW from comments about my dealer, Seattle BMW. Where I think the sales folks pushed this issue under the rug at first they are coming around. They are still selling the i3s, and i'd guess they are not telling prospective buyer of this serious issue.
However Seattle BMW Service guys are awesome. They seem to be transparent, adding in a touch of humor, with what they know, find, don't know but maintain professional appearances with what we both know, about BMW "corporate". Clearly the level of training they have received is not sufficient, and they don't know allot about software, but they try and seem to be willing to reach out and ask customers for some help. right-on. Today we had a bit of a conversation about secure TCP sockets and ports.
After our KLE replacement last week, the car now has lost it's ability to be connected to by the iRemote app, or "phone home". In trouble shooting the issue the service manager called up and asked if I had seen any messages from the car as the diagnostic software claimed it sent 9 digits of something to an app, and he could only believe it was my phone app. With that kind of openness I am willing to put up with more, and help him anyway I can.
I expect when we start tackling the spurious charging issues, of the car charging outside the specified time, it's going to take some time to figure it out. I am realizing what little online support facilities BMW built into the car's software.

If we can get by the serious charging issues quickly I think we will also not try to push returning the car to BMW, if we can upgrade the car from beta level to version 1.

Chrisn said:
jasleinstein said:
mindmachine, much like you I make my living producing and promoting new technologies.......I chose to live on the bleeding edge, It's my livelihood. My home is full of beta products. All I ask is the vendor is honest and open with me. For many other endeavors we do, the vendors step up to provide support and we even work extra to help them fix bugs. We need BMW to do the same.

Ditto. I am in the tech industry and am a serial early adopter. I also took delivery of my car AFTER the charge reduction patch was applied at the port. I understand that BMW would not want to attract the negative PR associated with this issue, but that's life. Instead, they chose remain silent or, when asked, lie. And not about some obscure feature of the car-- in one of THE ONLY THREE selling points listed on the front page of the i3 website (cut and pasted just now):

170 horsepower
120 - 185 miles per charge

Two of those three points are misleading/wrong and scream for footnote / disclaimers to make them reasonably fair/accurate. They should disclose the KLE/charging situation and they should note the performance limitations inherent in the U.S. REX implementation.

I'm satisfied with the i3 and would NOT sell it back to BMW if given the choice, but I do not feel the need to be an apologist for BMW's calculated decisions to be less than transparent about the way it markets the car as currently being delivered in the U.S.

Not sure where you cut and pasted from, but this cut and pasted from the bmwusa website:

170 horsepower
70 - 110 miles per charge

The units for your range should be km, not mi.

I agree the charge time is misleading, but BMW has vowed to fix that by the end of the year.

Buskraut said:
Not sure where you cut and pasted from, but this cut and pasted from the bmwusa website:

170 horsepower

The units for your range should be km, not mi.

I agree the charge time is misleading, but BMW has vowed to fix that by the end of the year.
No, those ranges are in miles, and fall in the range of what the EPA came up. The higher end are if you are using EcoPro or EcoPro+ modes verses Comfort.

While not supporting BMW in this, considering the average user in their years-long testing of their first EV's showed an average of about 34-miles/day...you can easily fully charge the vehicle in 3.5 hours.

Buskraut said:

170 horsepower

From the i3 ReX page (which I thought was implicit given my reference to ReX performance). Your cut/paste is from the BEV page (presumably).

Also, @ jadnashuanh: gimme a break. "Fully charged in 3.5 hours" unambiguously means "FROM EMPTY." How could it possibly be construed otherwise. That's akin to forgiving a manufacturer's false horsepower claims on the basis that almost no one drive at maximum engine power. They should deliver the product according to the advertised specs-- and the specs should not be misleading on their face.

Honestly, on the recharge rate, my main beef is with BMW's level of candor. The longer charge times ARE a real-world hassle for me on one of my frequent driving routes, but its not a huge deal and I (naively?) trust BMW that they will sort it soon. I just think they made a calculated decision to be sneaky about this issue (and the ReX performance), which I resent. I'm a fan, but I try not to be a fanboy (except when it comes to Apple products, which are ALL insanely great :D ).

mindmachine said:

I hate "plus one" posts... but seriously, mindmachine has this dead on.

I've been doing computer and consumer electronics software and hardware product design for about 25 years (ugh, I'm getting old), and I bought the i3 knowing full well it was bleeding edge and expecting it to have random glitches in its lifetime. Hell, any first generation model redesign of a BMW is a bucket of problems. Compared to my 650i, the i3 has been flawless... that includes having the AC issue, and having to unplug and re-plug in my L2 charger every other night due to a charging fault.

I will admit that if a car company is going to go down the path that BMW has, they SERIOUSLY need to start doing over the air updates. All the news about the Tesla 6.0 software update people got this morning reminds me that Tesla is getting the whole picture down right, not just bits and pieces. If BMW is getting in the game, they need to go all-in.

Back