i3 USB Connection

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BobbyB

Hi all,
First post so please go easy on me.
I've had my i3 REX for a year, fantastic, and bought it ex-demo with all the fun tech stuff.

Unfortunately right from the start the USB connection would not connect or even charge my phone (iPhone 5) but would constantly buzz on and off. If you hold the connector and apply some gentle downward force it will sometimes connect but as soon as you let go, or even go over a bump connection is lost again.

I naturally let BMW Oxford know about this problem, and a couple of others which they have fixed, and when it was in for a required service package, something to do with bolts on engine, they investigated it and reported it as testing ok. They suggested it might be either my lead or phones problem and that possibly the software update they had preformed might fix the problem, a phrase I've heard a little too often.
Unfortunately the problem was unchanged. I subsequently tested the USB port with numerous leads and different phones all with the same result.

Recently the car has been in for another service and I requested they investigate the problem further Prior to the end of the warranty. They now have the car in for testing and have got back to me again asserting that the USB port is testing satisfactory. However, now they are saying that the USB can only be used with a BMW lead :shock:

I have read the the manual and there is no mention of this. I've searched the BMW blog spot and it says "via a standard USB-to-phone cable rather than bluetooth". I have also looked though this forum and found no mention of a BMW USB cable.

Has anyone heard of this problem before? Is the BMW i3 USB port only usable by a official BMW USB lead?
Any advice welcomed. Thanks.

I've had problems with USB-lightning cables but I half suspect it is the worn, lightning socket in my iPhone 5s. It is not uncommon to flip the plug 180 degrees to get a connection. Even so, motion can cause the phone to disconnect. So I put it in the console between the seats, connector up which also protects it from our dogs.

GOOD LUCK!
Bob Wilson

Thanks Bob,

I have tried it with many cables both lightning and android to no avail unfortunately.
Have you ever heard of a BMW official cable before?
Thanks for the reply :)

BobbyB said:
Thanks Bob,

I have tried it with many cables both lightning and android to no avail unfortunately.
Have you ever heard of a BMW official cable before?
Thanks for the reply :)
No but I can imagine the cost. <GRINS>

Diagnosing a connector problem can be a bitch especially since there are two power and two signal lines. A quick Google search reveals there are USB testers with different capabilities: http://teledynelecroy.com/protocolanalyzer/protocoloverview.aspx?seriesid=414&capid=103&mid=511&gclid=Cj0KEQiA1b7CBRDjmIPL4u-Zy6gBEiQAsJhTMMy3-gHFT8CRqR-Ohier6jN9_TWHNBbworBWwozEqmUaAtvN8P8HAQ

There are a bunch of cheesy ones on eBay for under $10.

Bob Wilson

I have used my standard iPhone lead with my i3 for years without any problem and a standard USB lead with other devices.

BobbyB said:
However, now they are saying that the USB can only be used with a BMW lead :shock:

I have read the the manual and there is no mention of this. I've searched the BMW blog spot and it says "via a standard USB-to-phone cable rather than bluetooth". I have also looked though this forum and found no mention of a BMW USB cable.

Has anyone heard of this problem before? Is the BMW i3 USB port only usable by a official BMW USB lead?
Any advice welcomed. Thanks.
Play call my bluff with them!

I'd ask them if you can borrow an official hyper global meganet BMW USB lead to make sure this is the problem. Tell them if it solves it you'll pay for it and if it doesn't you'll return it to them.

You're talking to a service advisor who has the facts mixed up. The iDrive system once used an iPod/iPhone connection system that required a BMW-supplied Y cable. One end had the 30-pin universal connector and the other both USB type A and 3.5mm aux. (headphone) connectors. The cable was included with models that had the appropriate package. My '09 E90 came with one that I still use for an iPod Classic. The Y connector was phased out about the same time that Apple switched to the Lightning connector. I've used stock Apple cables in my i3 without a problem. I'm guessing your USB port's electronics are fine, hence the testing result, but its slightly loose in the console or the plastic surround has been worn.

Can you use other USB devices such as flash drives?

Back