Incorrect state of charge readings and failure to proceed in the i3 REx - help !

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

John Croker

This problem has been recognised for some years in the US (written up very nicely by Tom Moloughney in the BMWBLOG - https://www.bmwblog.com/2017/04/17/bmw-address-issue-incorrect-state-charge-readings-i3/) . It has also been recently reported in this forum (2014 REx not working when battery is about 6% low) Essentially the vehicle does not recognise that the battery is very low, and even though the range extender turns on the car stops or slows markedly. In my case I have been able to resume normal driving once the range extender has run for a minute or two, but I understand this is not always the case.

In the US, BMW has apparently been able to fix this problem with software changes and re-programming, but BMW Australia and Australian dealers simply say that the information I have provided them from the US is not relevant. If anyone in the US (or elsewhere) has had experience of this problem and have had it resolved by a helpful dealer or technician, I would very much like to get in touch with them in the hope that they will be able to liaise directly with my local dealer. If you could pass on my email address - [email protected] - that would be much appreciated.

Back