Intrumented J1772 socket-and-plug

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bwilson4web

First off, I have no business association with these folks other than being a customer. I went with their JuiceBox Pro (40) which easily handles 7.23 kW initial charge into our BMW i3-REx with metrics. But if you don't have metrics, this instrumented shunt could fit the bill.

This is a J1772 socket-and-plug with a daughter board that provides WiFi connectivity to monitor the charge voltage, current, and effect some controls:
juice_100.jpg

source: emotorwerks.com/store-juicebox-ev-charging-stations/1631-juiceplug-a-universal-smart-ev-charging-adapter/category_pathway-23
  • Anytime / anywhere monitoring and control of your charging via our best-in-class smartphone and web interfaces.
  • Set up Time-of-Use schedules, your maximum wiring ratings, turn your charging on and off remotely, etc.
  • Up to 10 automatic notification types that help you manage your EV charging experience. For example, JuicePlug can notify you that your car is still not plugged in by 10pm, etc
  • Access to your charging history, cost of energy, and CO2 budget (pounds saved by driving electric, pounds saved by charging smart, and total pounds spent)
  • Guaranteed full charge by specified time using the cleanest possible power - using award-winning smart charging algorithms from our JuiceNet platform
  • Voltage: 100-270 VAC
  • Power: up to 40 Amps / 10 kW
  • Full J1772 support for compatibility with all vehicles & EVSEs
  • Measurement precision (current, voltage, power, energy): better than 0.5%
  • Monitoring & Control latency: less than 3 seconds for full smart-grid compatibility

Bob Wilson

I assembled and installed an OpenEVSE box, which is a 50Amp charger with WiFi capability. It collects the charging statistics and can be polled and controlled remotely. The software is still a work in progress- the project is a small operation, and the whole WiFi option is new. It is already possible to see the charging history through a web interface and send commands to the EVSE over WiFi. Everything is open source, so anyone with coding skills can write the software.

gt1 said:
I assembled and installed an OpenEVSE box, which is a 50Amp charger with WiFi capability. It collects the charging statistics and can be polled and controlled remotely. The software is still a work in progress- the project is a small operation, and the whole WiFi option is new. It is already possible to see the charging history through a web interface and send commands to the EVSE over WiFi. Everything is open source, so anyone with coding skills can write the software.
Dang!

Wished I'd seen that a month ago.

Bob Wilson

Back