iRemote App and warning?

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gif

Okay, so twice I've got home and the charge level has been quite low. 16% the first time and 19% this time.

I've run iRemote to set the departure and preconditioning times together with off-peak charging.

On pressing "Send", I get the following warning

Warning
The vehicle's state of charge is XX%. Running the Remote Service reduces the range. Do you wish to run the Remote Service anyway?

Forgive me for being thick but what do you think this is warning me of exactly?

When I first read it, I assumed it was saying that simply sending the update to the car, the car updating its settings and then sending the status back to the App would cause a depletion of the battery. Really? This could affect my range by more than maybe 3 yards? How much electricity does it take to perform those tasks? It can't mean that surely?

So I next thought, is it an inelegant way of telling me that leaving it in that state of charge will ultimately reduce the range of the car by damaging the battery? But it can't mean that, as even if you try to send the settings telling it to charge immediately, it still gives the same warning.

So at that point I was lost, what does it mean, any thoughts :?:

As an aside, the first time I did this at 16%, the low cost charging threshold time did not seem to trigger the commencement of charging. I may have just messed up the settings though as it's always worked every other time but I'll be watching on this occasion too just in case there is a quirk in the system.

I almost completely agree with what you're saying and the same thoughts have crossed my mind.

However, I think this message is a catch-all and also covers those situations when owners start enabling cabin precon when not plugged in, for example.

Back