Is connecting the charger a one-handed job?

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SanSerif

A question for those who've got your cars: is plugging in the charger simple or fiddly?

In an ideal world, you'd approach the "filler" cap with a charger in hand and the cap would slickly, automatically open science-fiction style. While I realise we're probably not quite at that stage yet, I hope it's not too fiddly a job with caps to unscrew and levers to press and lift - seeing as I'll be doing it every day.

SanSerif said:
A question for those who've got your cars: is plugging in the charger simple or fiddly?

In an ideal world, you'd approach the "filler" cap with a charger in hand and the cap would slickly, automatically open science-fiction style. While I realise we're probably not quite at that stage yet, I hope it's not too fiddly a job with caps to unscrew and levers to press and lift - seeing as I'll be doing it every day.

Connecting the charger is really a one hand job!
You press on the rear edge of the charger hatch door and it swivels smoothly on its hinge to the front. There are 2 internal caps, one for the upper "Type 2" connector and one for the lower DC connector (together the "Combo Connector"). These caps are connected to each other and to the car by a flexible plastic cord. When charging at home or at a semi-rapid charging station using the type 2 plug you only need remove the top cap. The plug slides into the connector easily, is automaticly locked into place and the LED's on the inner edge of the hatch flash yellow briefly and then blue when charging begins. The light fades up and down: really cool. :cool: After about 3 minutes the "flashing" stops but the car continues to charge.

When you're finished, you unlock the plug with the remote, the LED's shine green if the batteries are completely charged or flash blue if not totally charged and pulling the plug out of the socket is effortless.

One thing I often forget to do is pop the inner cap back on and close the charger hatch door!
That's because I go to the other side of the car with the charger plug in hand, carefully hang it up and then proceed to completely forget about closing the charger hatch door!
Luckily the charger hatch is prominently visible in the right rear view mirror! :oops:

Does anybody know if when charging from a domestic outlet you can use an extension lead.
I understand this is not recommended because the extension lead can overheat( not sure why).
When staying with friends they often are happy to let you charge from their domestic socket and so are hotels but sometimes the socket is too far away.
I read somewhere that you can do it if you keep the extension lead straight.
Is there a special lead that would be suitable

BC
UK
Solar orange i3REX (no DC rapid charge prep).

Extension cords offer the opportunity for moisture, and maybe salt if the area was treated in the winter, to get onto the contacts, and that could cause a fault, and stop charging. Plus, as with any fairly high-current device, it is all too easy to use an extension cord that has small conductors, and create resistance that will then heat up the cable which can damage both it, and the plug/sockets. At the minimum, a too-small cord will drop the voltage to the car, and thus, slow the recharging rate. But, if you use a cord with sufficient wire size, it could be done, and people have done it...it's just that not everyone reads the restrictions and requirements, and just hear 'extension cord' and then use any old thing that might be good for a lamp, but not for a device like an EVSE!

You'd want a cord with at least 14g wire, and ideally 12g or larger along with plugs and sockets designed for 125% of the current load of the EVSE you plug in. IF the cord is quite long, the larger gauge (smaller number is bigger conductor) is recommended.

You do not want your cord to be left coiled up unless you wind it into a figure-8, because that creates an inductor coil, which creates resistance and therefore heat to the current going through the wire. The same is true on your EVSE...you need to leave any excess cord loosely hanging or totally unwind it for best performance. The fine print in most manuals tell you that, but most people don't read it or understand why, then forget it entirely!

I have frequently used an extension lead. Just make sure its adequate for the job (13amps in UK) and unreel the lead completely.

That all sounds like good and sensible advice many thanks to you both for the clear explanations.

BC
UK

I do this. The key is to make sure it is the heaviest duty you can find and to only buy as long as you need, not longer. I have also found that the charger is really smart...if there is anything else on the circuit or if the socket is old and crappy the charger will not work. This is probably a good thing.

Back