Is my 2014 BEV worth $4k in repairs?

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WalterH

BMW dealer says I need a new SME and safety box, which will cost $3900 out the door. Already spent $1k in Oct when the SME went out briefly but it started working again after they replaced the 12v battery and reprogrammed it. Stopped for good last week. The car only has 33k miles, has new tires and no major mechanical or cosmetic issues, but the battery capacity is low; the guess-o-meter rarely shows more than 55 miles fully charged, and fewer in cold weather. Right before the 8-year mark the dealer tested it at 71%, so I barely missed out on a warranty replacement HV battery. Yesterday the dealer offered me $1k as-is, but I think it might be worth up to $7k, so maybe I could net $3k if I sell it. Any other options I’m not considering?

Attachments

• IMG_1009.jpeg
    IMG_1009.jpeg
    2.7 MB · Views: 2
BMW dealer says I need a new SME and safety box, which will cost $3900 out the door. Already spent $1k in Oct when the SME went out briefly but it started working again after they replaced the 12v battery and reprogrammed it. Stopped for good last week. The car only has 33k miles, has new tires and no major mechanical or cosmetic issues, but the battery capacity is low; the guess-o-meter rarely shows more than 55 miles fully charged, and fewer in cold weather. Right before the 8-year mark the dealer tested it at 71%, so I barely missed out on a warranty replacement HV battery. Yesterday the dealer offered me $1k as-is, but I think it might be worth up to $7k, so maybe I could net $3k if I sell it. Any other options I’m not considering?
Any update?

I wonder what SME part number they put in. Did they put in the latest part number used in the 2021 or the SME for 2014-2016.
I also wonder did they replace the HV cables or not.
What kind of warranty did they give? One year?

Back