Is the i3 more like a coupe in practice than a 4 door sedan?

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cab

I know there aren't too many owners on here yet, but I'm wondering if folks are finding the i3 with its rear-hinged clamshell doors feels more like a 4seat coupe than 4 door sedan in daily life? If you've ever owned a coupe you know the extra bit of hassle it is with regard to letting folks in and out of the backseat, having them wait on you, etc? If you've ever spent time on pickup forums, you'll see extended cab owners (as opposed to crew cab) with rear-hinged rear doors and some of their challenges (and some funny stories about parking in small spots and getting sort of trapped in clamshell door h*ll). I wonder if a good summary is that it feels more like a coupe with great rear seat access.

Thoughts?

cab said:
I know there aren't too many owners on here yet, but I'm wondering if folks are finding the i3 with its rear-hinged clamshell doors feels more like a 4seat coupe than 4 door sedan in daily life? If you've ever owned a coupe you know the extra bit of hassle it is with regard to letting folks in and out of the backseat, having them wait on you, etc? If you've ever spent time on pickup forums, you'll see extended cab owners (as opposed to crew cab) with rear-hinged rear doors and some of their challenges (and some funny stories about parking in small spots and getting sort of trapped in clamshell door h*ll). I wonder if a good summary is that it feels more like a coupe with great rear seat access.

Thoughts?

This could be something that gets different opinions from different people, but I can say with 100% clarity that to me it's much more like a 4 door sedan. I own a pick-up with the same kind of coach doors and I've been driving ActiveE (1 series electric BMW) for two years now and the i3 in much easier to access the rear seats than either of them. The rear seats in the ActiveE are useless in fact.

I did get trapped when parked up close to another car the other day - you stand by your open driver's door so you can open the rear one, but neither will open wide enough to give you space because of the neighbouring car, so you end up squeezed between the two. I haven't carried any rear passengers yet though, so it'll be interesting to see how it goes when I do.

AndyW said:
I did get trapped when parked up close to another car the other day - you stand by your open driver's door so you can open the rear one, but neither will open wide enough to give you space because of the neighbouring car, so you end up squeezed between the two.

Like this ?

http://youtu.be/TXZU5UxGmnQ

I own a Mazda B4000 pickup and a Saturn Ion and I would say that it so much easier to get into the back seats than a coupe.The front doors are also shorter, like a 4 door so it is also easier to get in the fronts seats if someone parks too close too you. You can also close the front door after you open the back to let someone sit back there, or you could just back up a bit. I really like these doors after using them on various pickups since 1998.

i3atl said:
A few months have passed - any new/revised opinions on this topic from the current owners?

I've been owning my i3 for a couple of months now. My youngest son uses the rear seats on a daily basis.
Last week, we decided to take our Mini coupé (2007) for a spin and blow the dust off its bonnet. This allowed us to make some educated comparisons.

My conclusion is that though the i3's rear doors may not be quite practical in some instances (narrow parking lots, need to unbuckle before letting people out, etc), they are definitely much more convenient than any coupé style door.

Nevertheless, I think BMW should not advertise the i3 as a 4 door car, because in real life it is not. A "coupé with great rear seat access" is indeed a much fairer description.

agj said:
i3atl said:
A few months have passed - any new/revised opinions on this topic from the current owners?

I've been owning my i3 for a couple of months now. My youngest son uses the rear seats on a daily basis.
Last week, we decided to take our Mini coupé (2007) for a spin and blow the dust off its bonnet. This allowed us to make some educated comparisons.

My conclusion is that though the i3's rear doors may not be quite practical in some instances (narrow parking lots, need to unbuckle before letting people out, etc), they are definitely much more convenient than any coupé style door.

Nevertheless, I think BMW should not advertise the i3 as a 4 door car, because in real life it is not. A "coupé with great rear seat access" is indeed a much fairer description.

Count them it has 4 doors plus the rear hatch. Is this new math or what? :roll:

mindmachine said:
agj said:
i3atl said:

Count them it has 4 doors plus the rear hatch. Is this new math or what? :roll:

Before posting aggressive comments, you may wish to introduce yourself, state in what country/region you live, advise about your i3 ownership status (prospect, car ordered, owner, etc).
You could also review the entire thread as well as its title and try to participate in a constructive way like the vast majority of users in this forum

Count them it has 4 doors plus the rear hatch. Is this new math or what? :roll:[/quote]

Before posting aggressive comments, you may wish to introduce yourself, state in what country/region you live, advise about your i3 ownership status (prospect, car ordered, owner, etc).
You could also review the entire thread as well as its title and try to participate in a constructive way like the vast majority of users in this forum[/quote]

Sorry I apologize that was quite rude. I guess I was just frustrated somewhat rereading new comments about the US version of the i3 being restricted in so many ways. Sunroof not available, range extender functionality restricted due to California HOV lane rules, cant order any options, first three months production for US will only be available fully equipped(except sun roof) ect......
I live in the USA and have been trying to place an order for about a month now for the i3 Rex version. I want the sunroof but the dealership can't even find out if it ever will be offered in the US or if it will how long before they will even accept an order, let alone how long one would have to wait for it once the order is placed.
I am a retired engineer and I currently drive a Prius plug-in. Can't wait to get into the i3, that is the other thing, we here in the Ohio valley where I live can't/won't even get to see the i3 in the flesh until around the middle of May. Very frustrated, guess I was taking out my frustration, again sorry, I will be more constructive next time.

Back