Island of Hawaii DC Fast Charger Grand Opening July 6

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This charger can charge CHAdeMo or SAE in SERIES. It's OCPP networkable (Open Charge Point Protocol), and can use RFID, QR code scanning, or credit card swipe.

Thank you for the interest. We are currently in talks with other commercial property owners in Hawaii to install more of these charging stations. Stay tuned!

chargebliss2014 said:
This charger can charge CHAdeMo or SAE in SERIES.
"SAE" does not help us any. SAE J1772 is simply Level 2 AC charging (3 to 3.5 hours for a fully charged REx). We want to know if it is capable of SAE CCS (Combined Charging System) DC charging, which can charge an i3 to 80% in about 30 minutes.

ultraturtle said:
chargebliss2014 said:
This charger can charge CHAdeMo or SAE in SERIES.
"SAE" does not help us any. SAE J1772 is simply Level 2 AC charging (3 to 3.5 hours for a fully charged REx). We want to know if it is capable of SAE CCS (Combined Charging System) DC charging, which can charge an i3 to 80% in about 30 minutes.

I thought it was 80% in 20 minutes and 100% in 30 minutes.

mindmachine said:
I thought it was 80% in 20 minutes and 100% in 30 minutes.
80% in less than 20 minutes is correct according to BMW's USA site: http://www.bmwusa.com/Standard/Cont...3/Features_and_Specs/BMWi3Specifications.aspx

BMW's main site states 80% in "under 30 min": http://www.bmw.com/com/en/newvehicles/i/i3/2013/showroom/technical_data.html

Pretty fast either way.

It will not charge to 100% in 30 minutes, however. That last 20% would likely take another hour or so because of the charging characteristics of the battery technology, as well as safeguards in the charging system to protect the battery. You'll notice that Nissan, Tesla, and BMW only mention the time to 80%.

Look at this example of a Nissan Leaf charging from 50% (disregard the red line), and you'll see it took less than 20 minutes to charge to 80%, but is only up to 93% 30 minutes later.

Blink_50_to_100_Graph.png

Ultraturtle -- Yes it is CCS. As I understand it, saying "SAE J1772 CCS" has basically been reduced to "SAE Combo" now (even on sae.org). The term "SAE J1772 Combined Charging System (CCS)" was mostly used during the development stages of the new SAE standard.

ultraturtle said:
Pretty sweet if it is a CCS or Combo charger. It would likely be the second in the USA (there's one in San Diego: http://www.greencarreports.com/news...-car-fast-charging-station-opens-in-san-diego). If it's just another CHAdeMo station, then it is not news suitable for this forum, as the US version of the i3 cannot use its DC charging capability.
There are more than two CCS fast chargers in
the US. The total count now likely exceeds a dozen or so, if you include some of the R&D sites, such as BMW NA in Woodcliff Lake or GM's R&D office in LA. We tracked this on several sites separately, but now PlugShare is taking over as the reference database.

Back