Just had my wall box installed

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It's more safe that power hungry appliances use a higher voltage because it reduces the necessary amperage. If you need 7 kW of power at 220V, about 32 amps are required (220*32).
At 110V, 64 amps are required to give the same power output, meaning that heavier gauge wiring is required to handle the resistance (heat buildup!) in that wiring. That is expensive!

2013-12-27%2010.53.21%20%282%29.jpg

Just had this Chargemaster unit fitted in readiness for my i3 delivery week 10. Its a 7kw unit that cost £95 for charger and installation.
Chargemaster do a cheaper one at 3kw that cost £0 ! for charger and installation.

I am borrowing an i3 for a day next week so will have an opportunity to try the charger out.

Glad to answer any questions.

Chris

The photo would suggest that the unit is plugged into a 13A socket, this is not the case, as it is wired direct to the fuse board.

Uk wiring can be surface mounted and still be to spec.

Chris

It looks like your charge cable coils very neatly around the charge unit. My BMW cable feels too stiff to be able to coil that tight?

Apologies for what might be appear a negative observation but that doesn't look a very tidy installation compared with Schneider. All the Schneider installation photos (and my own) show the cabling to the charger in trunking or cladding, yours is not protected in cladding. I thought that was a requirement of the regs? Also, from what I can see, and on my installation, Schneider have installed a separate isolator, but I guess yours may have one but not shown?

Perhaps someone who understands the wiring regs can comment?

Back