KLE question

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sparky

My car was manufactured 10/8. I just depleted my battery on a trip and recharged it.
It took 3.5 hrs to charge to 99%. Do I have the new KLE or just a old design with no issues? I guess I need to know when and if the reduced charge rate software was cut into manufacturing.

3.5-hours for a depleted battery implies you have the max charge rate. But, I know I don't, and with it being colder here, at least on mine, I'm still charging at about that rate even with the updated software. I know others have indicated they are not seeing that, but my EVSE typically shows just under 30A when charging. I did not have the ability to check when it was warmer out, so I do not know if it was reduced when hotter. Regardless, if you need a recall, you'll get that info either through the mail or by a phone call from BMW when the service centers are able to perform the work.

AFAIK yes, the BMW is developing a replacement part that will be replaced in every i# no matter if it does experience issues right now or not as it might start having the later.

Sparky said:
My car was manufactured 10/8. I just depleted my battery on a trip and recharged it.
It took 3.5 hrs to charge to 99%. Do I have the new KLE or just a old design with no issues? I guess I need to know when and if the reduced charge rate software was cut into manufacturing.

This is pretty quick.

My car's KLE was replaced 2 week ago. It charged from 15% to 100% in just over 4 hours. The dashboard actually said it would take 5 hours when the charging started.

I spoke with a BMW i team tech expert yesterday. According to him cars manufactured starting in September (he didn't say exactly when in September) have the new KLE module.

You should be up to date.

For the rest of us we should be getting some communication from BMW shortly about the KLE situation.

Back