KLE replacement and dvdinmotion REx Hold modification

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WoodlandHills

I took my car in for the KLE replacement and accompanying software upgrade last week. I have been a very happy user of dvdinmotions REx hold mod and I was curious how it would be affected. I could have removed the mod before taking the car to the dealer, but I wanted to see what the worst case scenario would be so I just left it installed.
I got the car back a few days later on Saturday and as I expected the car was back to stock: no REx hold option and the "Confirm" screen upon startup. I then went through the installation procedure using the original file I used for the first installation, locked the car doors for 14 minutes (they say "over 10 minutes") and when I returned the "confirm screen was gone and the REx Hold option was back.
Lucie at dvdinmotion says they are working on the fuel tank capacity increase to be included in the REx package for new buyers and as a free upgrade for earlier adaptors. I will let the forum know when they release the new version. This option is nowhere near as complete as learning to code your car yourself, but then again, it is Plug-n-Play and for most of us it addresses our biggest issue with the i3 REx.......

Terrific. I've been waiting for the gas tank patch and will buy the two, :D when issued. This is the best option for me, as every time the car goes in, all my settings get wiped and a simple USB stick to re-install is the easiest thing possible.

These are the big ones for me, but I wonder what else is going to be offered on a stick?

From my contact with dvdinmotion I get the feeling that they will offer the REx Hold, the bigger fuel tank and the removal of the "Confirm" screen as one package. Lucie said today that they are working on the fuel tank mod currently and soon hope to add it to their existing package.

Bought the patch from dvdinmotion 1/22. It worked for a week but noticed today the rex extender option is disabled. Anyone encounter this problem?

I haven't taken my i3 to the dealer for any software updates, I was wondering if there are over the air updates that stop the patch every now and then.

Did you try to reload? You could ask Lucie, she is very good at replying to questions.... Just use their contact address to email her.
I had a glitch on Monday where it disappeared for a day and then came back! Monday I had the Confirm screen back and no REx Hold and Tuesday morning it was all back again without my doing anything. I drove around yesterday on the REx just to verify it all worked and it did. It also erased my 8 buttons, something the software update did not......
I was wondering if perhaps my having the BMW servers contact my car through iRemote to change the departure times might have triggered some sort of reset, but that would not explain why it came back. BTW, I just checked and it is all still there: no Confirm screen and Range Extender is still available as a choice under Settings in the iDrive menu.

Just got in touch with Lucy.

She mentions that I wouldn't be able to turn it on if I am over 75% charged. I will try this on the way home.

Can anyone confirm this?

She is correct, you should see the Range Extender option in the menu, you can click on it to see the box to turn the REx on, but until the SOC drops below 75% it will not be hilighted and will be unclickable.

Once SOC drops to 75% the REx still will only come on when you are moving and only then above a certain speed. It will shut off at stop signs and stop lights. Also in traffic......

WoodlandHills said:
I took my car in for the KLE replacement and accompanying software upgrade last week. I have been a very happy user of dvdinmotions REx hold mod and I was curious how it would be affected. I could have removed the mod before taking the car to the dealer, but I wanted to see what the worst case scenario would be so I just left it installed.
I got the car back a few days later on Saturday and as I expected the car was back to stock: no REx hold option and the "Confirm" screen upon startup. I then went through the installation procedure using the original file I used for the first installation, locked the car doors for 14 minutes (they say "over 10 minutes") and when I returned the "confirm screen was gone and the REx Hold option was back.
Lucie at dvdinmotion says they are working on the fuel tank capacity increase to be included in the REx package for new buyers and as a free upgrade for earlier adaptors. I will let the forum know when they release the new version. This option is nowhere near as complete as learning to code your car yourself, but then again, it is Plug-n-Play and for most of us it addresses our biggest issue with the i3 REx.......

Thank you for your post, and I just bought the software and installed today, work like a charm, I got the KLE replaced last December, so I would not need to see the dealer anytime soon, I think, I enjoyed the option as it allows me to not think about the range for 99.9% of my trips.

Back