Lease Rates?

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fengshui

Now that we're getting a sense of pricing (~35,000 $/€), does anyone have any information about what US lease rates will be? With BMW finance recognizing the $7500 US tax credit, will they be able to hit the $299 price point that Nissan has been promoting for their equivalently-priced LEAF SL? Will they want to?

Share your thoughts!

fengshui said:
Now that we're getting a sense of pricing (~35,000 $/€), does anyone have any information about what US lease rates will be? With BMW finance recognizing the $7500 US tax credit, will they be able to hit the $299 price point that Nissan has been promoting for their equivalently-priced LEAF SL? Will they want to?

Share your thoughts!

Personally I still believe the $34,500 price includes the $7,500 federal tax credit. I do not believe the i3 will have a base price under $40K. I hope I'm wrong.

My guess on lease price is $2,500 down, $399/mo. 36 month lease 12,000mi/yr

TomMoloughney said:
fengshui said:

Share your thoughts!

Personally I still believe the $34,500 price includes the $7,500 federal tax credit. I do not believe the i3 will have a base price under $40K. I hope I'm wrong.

$399/mo would be right for a vehicle with an MSRP after federal tax credit of $46,275.00. Given the pricing they've confirmed, I think they'll try to preserve the brand cachet, and come in at $329/mo on the lease. At most, they'll do $349/mo, same as the 328i.

--Ted

fengshui said:
TomMoloughney said:
fengshui said:

Share your thoughts!

$399/mo would be right for a vehicle with an MSRP after federal tax credit of $46,275.00. Given the pricing they've confirmed, I think they'll try to preserve the brand cachet, and come in at $329/mo on the lease. At most, they'll do $349/mo, same as the 328i.

--Ted

Hopefully Ted, but remember the residual value is important in calculating the lease cost, not just the MSRP. So far, electric vehicles have depreciated more than conventional cars initially, and I'm sure BMW FInancial services has been following that. That will provide upward pressure on the lease rate. However on the other hand you have the $7,500 federal tax incentive that BMW FS will roll into the lease as a capitol cost reduction. This should be interesting.

Have there been any updates as to the lease rates and residuals predicted for the USA?
For comparison, was what the residual on a 15,000/year BMW Active E?

uter said:
Have there been any updates as to the lease rates and residuals predicted for the USA?
For comparison, was what the residual on a 15,000/year BMW Active E?

The ActiveE is a poor comparison because it isn't offered for sale and the numbers (MSRP/residual) are really just made up numbers. I suspect you should use 50% as the residual value after 3 years and 45,000 miles. Remember to factor in the $7,500 federal tax credit as a capitol cost reduction.

It is going to be very interesting to see how BMW positions the lease on this.

Volts and Leafs are going for dirt cheap right now. With a decent cap (+/- $2500) you can lease a Volt for $199.

Say an i3 with a few options is $45000 (without Rex). With a 50% residual of $22,500 and taking the $7,500 subsidy into account that's a depreciation value of $15,000 across 36 months. Figure they'll go about .0015 or so on the MF and with $2,000 cap that will yield a payment of about $415 (assuming you pay MSRP). My guess is they'll hit $399. To get to $349 it will need to residualize better - maybe they'll incentivize it, we'll see.

At $299 they would move a lot of them - even with the cheap Volts and Leafs out there.

I may be wrong, but i dont think Tax Credits relate directly to your cap cost reduction...Just like with the $8000 Obama home buyer tax credit...I only applies as a deduction on your income tax, therefore i think, if you dont need the deduction, it wont help you...?

Waiting is correct. That's also why some of them lease so cheaply. It's like a $7500 cap reduction.

Saw a Leaf lease in the paper today for $49 per month with a $4,000 drive off....

It that's the case then that plus owner loyalty and European delivery would be great! can anyone tell me how the Range Extender effects the tax credit?

mickeyscotty said:
It that's the case then that plus owner loyalty and European delivery would be great! can anyone tell me how the Range Extender effects the tax credit?

Alas, no European Delivery for US spec i3's.
Source is BMW NA exec in ED program, Simone Zacarddi.

Back