Longest item I can carry

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Trukinbear

Hi guys, I take delivery of my new to me i3 REx next weekend, and on my 900 mile trip home I'd like to pick up a few bargains on the way.

My question is with just the driver, what is the longest narrow item I can load with the back seats folded and the passenger seat folded or reclined?

Thanks

8ft 2x4 will fit. My wife regularly transports a small rolled up rug that is 8ft as well.

The front seats don't recline flat, and even fully reclined doesn't help much. You'd have to place a long item on top of the reclined passenger seat headrest which is pretty high off the floor. In many cases, more space would be available by sliding the passenger seat fully forward and tilting the seat back toward the front of the car. The seat back won't remain tilted on its own, so something would have to be pressing on the seat back to keep it tilted forward.

Long, narrow items could fit between the front seats. The center display prevents long items from being placed on top of the dashboard.

An i3 can be driven with the rear hatch partially or fully open. Doing so automatically activates brake, running, and turn lights in the bumper so that lighting could still be seen by following vehicles. Unless the REx engine is running, no nasty exhaust fumes would be sucked into an open hatch while driving. I would tie the hatch down to prevent it from opening fully. I don't know how well the hydraulic struts that push the hatch open would deal with the weight of the hatch over many hours of driving.

Secure any items being carried so that they don't impale you during an emergency stop or a front collision.

Back