Lost my REx Coding!

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RhodyDave

2018 i3 REx. Coded in early 2021 soon after I got it to allow REx to be turned on when battery below 75% like EU cars. Gas gauge also reprogrammed to allow access to all of tank. Few other nuisances turned off, too. Had a scary problem with power steering that was diagnosed as software issue with a warranty extension. Took car to dealer for software update. They also did Telematics recall update. Both no charge. But when I got it back, the "Auto eDrive" menu was gone from Settings, and now no way to turn on REx. As I recall it, the coder ("CodeMyCar"), offered to reprogram for life of car. Haven't contacted them yet. Will do that next. Anybody else seen this?

Any major software update performed on an i3 will erase any existing coding, but you can always recode it.

You should first ask CodeMyCar to recode your car. If you aren't satisfied with their response, you could code it yourself using the BimmerCode smartphone app (~$40 at bimmercode.app) with an OBD to WiFi or Bluetooth adapter to provide a wireless connection between the OBD port on your car and your smartphone ($20-$40 at Amazon).

In a North American i3 REx, the full fuel tank capacity is available from the factory, so there's no need to try to increase it through coding.

“In a North American i3 REx, the full fuel tank capacity is available from the factory, so there's no need to try to increase it through coding.”

This is false. It depends on the year. We have a 2015 purchased in California, and it will only take 2 gallons unless coded. After coding, it takes 2.4 gal. Been stuck at 2 since my last trip to the dealer. :(

“In a North American i3 REx, the full fuel tank capacity is available from the factory, so there's no need to try to increase it through coding.”

This is false. It depends on the year. We have a 2015 purchased in California, and it will only take 2 gallons unless coded. After coding, it takes 2.4 gal. Been stuck at 2 since my last trip to the dealer. :(
I should have been more clear that I was referencing RhodyDave's 2018 i3 REx which would have the full gasoline tank capacity from the factory. 2014-2016 North American i3's have software-limited gasoline tank capacity that can be increased by a coding change.

Back