MP3 playback from USB memory

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kermit

I recently had an i3 with range extender for an extended test drive, during which I played an MP3 audiobook directly from a USB memory stick plugged into the socket under the armrest. I found that every time I stopped the car and then started it again, the player advanced to the beginning of the next track. If I had been playing music, this might have been acceptable (or even advantageous) but the fact that I was playing an audiobook meant that I always missed the end of a chapter as the player kept advancing to the next track.

When I spoke to the salesman he said that this was how it was intended to operate and even when I contacted the i3 customer services department, they assured me that this was correct.

It seems incredible to me that BMW would change the normal playback mechinism which has been in place since the days of cassette and 8 track, where the player would always continue playing from the same location after the car had been stopped and restarted. Since I always listen to audiobooks in the car, as far as I am concerned this is a 'show stopper'. It also seems incredible that no-one else on the forums has picked up on what would appear to be a significant flaw in the audio system, especially as the 'ST1211' �Head unit seems to be used in a number of other vehicles.

Could anyone tell me whether there is another way to playback MP3's so that the 'car' remembers what it was playing when it was stoppped and continues from that point when it is next started. I was wondering if I uploaded the MP3 files to the cars memory whether that would fix the problem. Alternatively if any one could confirm that this is the only way that MP3's (or any audio files) can be played, then at least it would put my mind at rest.

I'll be interested to hear what you find out. For non-music tracks like audiobooks and podcasts, remembering the playback position is essential. In iTunes, I have selected the "remember playback position" checkbox for these tracks, and my iPhone obeys that, and I can play them from my iPhone in the car using Bluetooth. I haven't yet checked what happens if I put those tracks on a USB thumb drive or on the car's internal disk drive.

My music and podcast tracks resume playing from the point where stopped regardless of whether the source is the internal hard drive, iPod or USB flash drive. I specifically tested the flash drive this morning since I mainly use it for transferring music to the internal hard drive. Sure enough, it resumed playing the song in the middle. The album on it was released February 3 so 20+ days had elapsed since I last plugged it in—lots of stops and starts in between. I have no idea why you were told that skipping to the next track is normal. Certainly it's not how my system behaves.

Thank you for your replies.

I am wondering if the european specification is different from the US specification (I am based in the UK). Hopefully I will receive a reply from someone in europe to confirm.

I can confirm that mine resumes playback of Music from the HDD OK. I suppose an Audiobook could be too long or you may have an unusual format, have you tried putting an Music track on a USB.

BTW, adding your location to your profile will help others know where you are when offering help.

However it still doesn't explain why the salesman at the BMW garage and the agent at BMW i customer services services both told me that it didn't work this way, unless I didn't explain myself clearly.

Thanks for the tip, I'll add my location.

Kermit said:
Thank you for your replies.

I am wondering if the european specification is different from the US specification (I am based in the UK). Hopefully I will receive a reply from someone in europe to confirm.

i am also in the uk i will download a book and try for you

Back