Multimedia and telephone software update questions

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

704hov1451

(I apologize if this subject has been discussed on another thread, which I could not find).

I was in the process of importing my mp3 music files from a USB stick and noticed the option for a software update. After going to http://www.bmw.com/update and entering my VIN, I saw update UPD05021 for "vehicles with production date from July 2012 - February 2014". The update version for the phone was TN 2.34.1 and for multimedia was MN 2.18.2.

I could not find anywhere the manufacturer date of my REx, which I just took delivery of last week.

The software versions I have for the phone is TN 002.045.001 and for multimedia is MN 002.045.001. I assume BMW spreads these across its product lines and nothing is peculiar to the i3.

While I have not had functionality problems with either my iPhone (with IOS 8.0.2) or playing my mp3 music (as opposed to settng delayed charging :x) , it would seem my software could be updated--though the version numbers are a little confusing when you try and interpret them.

Anyone do an update and recommends such?

704hov1451 said:
(I apologize if this subject has been discussed on another thread, which I could not find).

I was in the process of importing my mp3 music files from a USB stick and noticed the option for a software update. After going to http://www.bmw.com/update and entering my VIN, I saw update UPD05021 for "vehicles with production date from July 2012 - February 2014". The update version for the phone was TN 2.34.1 and for multimedia was MN 2.18.2.

I could not find anywhere the manufacturer date of my REx, which I just took delivery of last week.

The software versions I have for the phone is TN 002.045.001 and for multimedia is MN 002.045.001. I assume BMW spreads these across its product lines and nothing is peculiar to the i3.

While I have not had functionality problems with either my iPhone (with IOS 8.0.2) or playing my mp3 music (as opposed to settng delayed charging :x) , it would seem my software could be updated--though the version numbers are a little confusing when you try and interpret them.

Anyone do an update and recommends such?

It's entirely possible this upgrade was actually already done before you took delivery - either at the port or at your dealer. The service people at your dealer or the i concierge can hopefully help you sort out whether or not you actually need the upgrade -- and they are the ones that should do the work if you need it.

But in any event, you can find out the date when your car was produced by entering your VIN at this web site:
http://www.bmwarchive.org/vin/bmw-vin-decoder.html

Your already running 2.45.1 which is newer than the 2.34.1 and 2.18.2 the update site is giving you.

As with any of these things, if you haven't got a problem that the update specifically addresses there isn't much point updating.

Back