EME failure Risk + Software updates

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DRK002

Hello everyone,

I have read about the "EME failure" in some 2014 BEV models wonder whether what can cause something like that? the power quality of electricity supply is the only reason that i can think of unless there had been a design failure. Because to my knowledge, EME module is basically just a rectifier (AC to DC converter) I'm keen on knowing more details about the matter.

Also, i have noted that all these events have been recorded in 2014 and 2015. Is it safe to assume that whatever the issues that had been with EME in 2014 BEVs had been fixed by software updates or faulty modules have already failed and been replaced by now?

how to check the software version of the vehicle you are going to buy and the last date it had been updated? is it possible to view from i-drive menu in large screen or service menu in small screen?

I am going to buy a 2014 BEV that had been exclusively used in Japan, which is in great condition overall. But a bit concerned about prospective EME or other electronic module failures, given that its manufactured in early 2014 (based on VIN)

Thank you all very much!

If memory serves, the supplier of one critical part didn't hold up to the original prototype design specifications. It worked for awhile, then died in some situations. While some people did have failures, it was by no means 100% (mine never failed, but was replaced during the service campaign, for example). IT took awhile to discover the reason why, then resolve it, then build the replacements, so there was an interim software build applied to limit how fast the car could recharge the batteries, which limited the load on that critical component. Like any car company, some stuff is built in house, some is contracted out, at least in part.

jadnashuanh said:
If memory serves, the supplier of one critical part didn't hold up to the original prototype design specifications. It worked for awhile, then died in some situations. While some people did have failures, it was by no means 100% (mine never failed, but was replaced during the service campaign, for example). IT took awhile to discover the reason why, then resolve it, then build the replacements, so there was an interim software build applied to limit how fast the car could recharge the batteries, which limited the load on that critical component. Like any car company, some stuff is built in house, some is contracted out, at least in part.

That is good to hear and dose make sense :) Any idea as to whether its possible to check whether a particular vehicle has got the interim software build or module replacement? By service menu or OBD II scanner?

I guess its fair to assume that a vehicle that has been exclusively serviced at an authorized dealer in japan until December 2017, is likely to have got either Software patch or module replacement (?)

jadnashuanh said:
If memory serves, the supplier of one critical part didn't hold up to the original prototype design specifications. It worked for awhile, then died in some situations. While some people did have failures, it was by no means 100% (mine never failed, but was replaced during the service campaign, for example).
I believe you're referring to the KLE rather than the EME. When the KLE fails, the maximum AC charging rate is reduced to 3.7 kW.

The EME performs bidirectional AC-DC conversion between the battery pack and drive motor as well as one-way DC-DC conversion between the high-voltage and 12 V systems. So when it fails, an i3 cannot be driven or its 12 V battery will not be charged.

I believe that the EME is a considerably more expensive part than the KLE. The EME has not been replaced in a service campaign by BMW as was the KLE.

Regarding firmware, if the vehicle was serviced by a factory authorized station, it should have all mandatory updates to the software. Rules about whether these things are applied free are likely to vary by market, so you'd have to inquire locally. BMW, at least in the USA, has a fairly long warranty and free service that other markets must pay extra for, so for an American consumer, it's only an inconvenience of time, not money, should there need to be something done to the car for the first 3-years or so.

I think you can get an idea of what's in the vehicle by downloading a profile to a USB drive, then look at it with a text editor. I'm not aware of a list you can compare it to, though, to see whether there's a newer version. But, for the same module, potentially built by a different supplier, it may have a different build to drive it properly as designs evolve.

Latest posts

Back