My 3 year ride with a 2014 i3 BEV

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

archieb

It has been more than 6 years since my i3 lease ended. I wanted to buy my i3, but the residual was hundreds more than BMW dealers were selling similar BEVs at retail. I reluctantly turned in my i3 to the Madison, WI BMW dealer I purchased it from. It sat in their back lot for several months before being shipped to California. My i3 was always checked and serviced by the same BMW dealer, had low mileage, and was in great condition. Its' only problem, it was a BEV. The i3 was the 5th of 7 EVs I owned, the first in 1976 and the last a 2017 Ford Fusion Energi plug in hybrid. I sold the Energi in 2021after a dealer offered me the same price I had paid for the car one year old in 2018.
My i3 remains my favorite EV of the 7 I have owned. From the 1976 Citicar, 3 NEVs, the i3, a Leaf and ending with Energi, the i3 remains the EV I enjoyed the most. It was reliable, required very few repairs, and was inexpensive to operate. I no longer drive electric because I now live in an apartment building where management will not allow a L2 charger to be installed and the poor depreciation in EV value in just 3 years of ownership.

Back