New to forum. Looking to buy late this year.

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kent

Not much to contribute at the moment. I’m looking to add an i3S to my electric car stable.

Good for you! The hunt will be fun and possibly challenging. I just acquired an i3. Shopping in the SE US, especially since I wanted the $4k federal tax credit, wasn't easy. Would have been simple if I lived on the west coast.

In the middle of the US, I see another i3 on the road almost every other week.

Last edited:
Yes, there were plenty nationally, but I was iffy about paying a high shipping tab. I was also picky about year, mileage and color. Not many locally. Ended up paying shipping from Louisiana to Florida.

It's been a roller coaster to see the i3 reach the depths of "unwanted oddball" when I bought a loaded Tera lease return in 2019 for a meager $24k, through the LA police auctions, then the meteoric rise since the announcement and termination of the i3 program. I wonder how long it can maintain hot commodity status?! It is certainly destined to be a classic.

Yes, there were plenty nationally, but I was iffy about paying a high shipping tab. I was also picky about year, mileage and color. Not many locally. Ended up paying shipping from Louisiana to Florida.
Considering all the costs of round trip travel and lodging, meals, etc - shipping a car is not more expensive than a road trip. Either way, it’s worth it if you find the right car.

I just purchased a certified pre-owned 2020 from a dealer in January. I was also able to get the $4K tax credit. I am in Southern California.

Good luck with your search. There were only about 730 i3's sold in total in Australia from 2012 to 2021. No, not a typo... just 730. So not a big seller. At the moment, there would appear to be only 11 on the market throughout the country, with just 2 here in my home state of Queensland. I would be very careful with your purchase. I bought my used 2017 i3 REX from a BMW dealer just over two years ago. You will see from the various threads that many owners like to "tinker" with their cars. Buyer beware... You will pay extra through purchasing from a BMW dealer, but you will also be reassured of exactly what you are getting. Having said that, I am more than happy with my ownership, especially when I see petrol prices at around $A2.20 :mad: per litre for 95 RON - a lot of that is Federal government tax (that's $US1.43 a litre or $US8.30 per gallon). Yes, ouch indeed.

Considering all the costs of round trip travel and lodging, meals, etc - shipping a car is not more expensive than a road trip. Either way, it’s worth it if you find the right car.
100% agree! I've made three long distance road trips to buy cars over the years. One from CA, one from CO, one from NH, all to bring "the right" BMW back to sunny Florida. Great vacations, always after having had the cars checked thoroughly by a trusted, third-party source before committing to purchase. Unfortunately, that wasn't an option this time. My husband has Alzheimer's, so getting away is very difficult. More importantly, I didn't want to do a cross-country trip in a vehicle with very little range when I knew nothing about electric charging. So the scales tipped toward shipping. I considered i3's from Texas to Pennsylvania. I hoped I might find one in the DC area, where I have friends I'd like to visit and could have brought it home on the Autotrain. In the end, the Carvana option, with a $300 non-refundable shipping fee from Louisiana and a 7-day refund window if it didn't meet expectations, worked well.

Back