New to the i3

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

computergui

Just completed my first purchase of an i3! Pretty excited. Currently own an e34 and an e53. This is a bit of a departure, but I'm ecstatic with the car. Looking forward to all of you experts out their answering my never ending questions :)

computergui

Yea..guess that would help huh!

Located in Temperance, MI. Got a 2014 Rex with 24,000 miles. Could hardly beat the deal. It'll be used as a local commuter, but I might want to learn how to update the Hold State of Charge for the Rex ;)

Rex.jpeg

Congratulations - that sounds great! I would definitely program the HSOC - it make the car so much more useful when you can take it to a neighboring town and only have to use the engine on the highway. I always feel silly when I end up driving around town sounding like I'm in a golf cart!

The first question is for you - what did you buy?

John Francis
Rolla, MO
I purchased a 2015 i3 from Carmax, 18k miles. It is so nice to drive and easy to charge. It is fully electric.
It said fully discharged battery, parking break malfunction, and drivetrain malfunction. I purchased it 2023. First BMW product. I couldn’t afford a Tesla and this seemed to be a good deal. I cannot have it towed out of the garage to a dealer because I don’t know how to turn it on. I cannot throw it into neutral and push it out. Tow trucks get stuck in my service alley leading to my garage because it is gravel surrounded by sand so any pivots to get into my property requires a tow for the tow truck.
I WILL NEVER BUY ANOTHER BMW PRODUCT. This is a known problem and can occur whilst driving. In my case the car had been on charge for three days and I went out to drive it to the store and it sits like an expensive paperweight. Help me please😭

I purchased a 2015 i3 from Carmax, 18k miles. It is so nice to drive and easy to charge. It is fully electric.
It said fully discharged battery, parking break malfunction, and drivetrain malfunction. I purchased it 2023. First BMW product. I couldn’t afford a Tesla and this seemed to be a good deal. I cannot have it towed out of the garage to a dealer because I don’t know how to turn it on. I cannot throw it into neutral and push it out. Tow trucks get stuck in my service alley leading to my garage because it is gravel surrounded by sand so any pivots to get into my property requires a tow for the tow truck.
I WILL NEVER BUY ANOTHER BMW PRODUCT. This is a known problem and can occur whilst driving. In my case the car had been on charge for three days and I went out to drive it to the store and it sits like an expensive paperweight. Help me please😭
Sounds like a dead 12V battery which can throw all the error messages.

Thank you. Can I install it? Can’t get the car out of the garage.
The battery's in the frunk behind the removable panels and the storage bin, so you should be able to get to still in the garage. I'm sure somebody (or more likely multiple somebodies) has made a youtube video of i3 12V battery replacement step-by-step.

edited to add . . . . somebody here will probably be able to jump in with suggestions to get the HV system or an external charger to charge the dying 12V at least enough to get you going to the shop or a more accessible location if a tow is needed.

Last edited:
somebody here will probably be able to jump in with suggestions to get the HV system or an external charger to charge the dying 12V at least enough to get you going to the shop or a more accessible location if a tow is needed.
There are 12 volt jump point lugs under the cover in the hatch. Not exactly easy access a a handful of screws need to be removed, but probably easier than getting at the battery.

There are 12 volt jump point lugs under the cover in the hatch. Not exactly easy access a a handful of screws need to be removed, but probably easier than getting at the battery.
EnthusiasticEV, if you go this route, be sure to only hand-tighten these screws when replacing the cover. The "nuts" for these screws are neoprene that are easily broken/ripped if the screws are tightened too much.

Latest posts

Back